'American Sniper' Author Chris Kyle Shot Dead, 'Deadliest US Sniper' Purportedly Killed By Post-Tramatic Stress Victim
February 4, 2013 3:54 AM EST
"American Sniper" author and ex-Navy SEAL Chris Kyle was fatally shot at gun range in Glen Rose, Texas, Saturday. A second man, Chad Littlefield, was also gunned down.
According to the New York Times, a Texas man, Eddie Ray Routh, 25, has been arrested in the crime.
Local TV station WFAA-TV reported that Kyle was killed "while helping another soldier who was recovering from post-traumatic stress syndrome." Sources told the news outlet that Kyle and Littlefield were attempting to help Routh cope with his PTSD when he opened fire.
The killing occurred at the Rough Creek Lodge in Earth County. The lifeless bodies of Kyle, 38, and Littlefield, 36, were discovered at the scene.
According to police reports, Routh shot the men around 3:30 p.m. and fled the scene in a Ford pickup. He was arrested at his home in Lancaster. He was arraigned later Saturday and is charged with two counts of capital murder.
Kyle wrote the 2012 bestseller "American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History," which chronicled his time as a marksman from 1999 to 2009, including service in the Iraq War, where he is said to have shot 150 insurgents. According to NBC, as a member of Navy SEAL Team 3, Kyle earned the nickname the "Devil of Ramadi," and insurgents placed a $80,000 bounty on his head.
The legendary sniper was decorated with two Silver Stars, two Navy Achievement Medals and five Bronze Stars.
Kyle's post-military career included his involvement with the FITCO Cares Foundation, which assists wounded and PTSD veterans.
FITCO has posted a statement honoring Kyle.
"The FITCO Cares Foundation will always carry the torch to help our brave men and women who have survived combat but are still fighting to survive post traumatic stress disorder. Chris Kyle helped establish this foundation, and we are committed to make sure his memory lives on forever."
Please pray for all those who loved Chris. He will be forever missed."
Kyle is survived by his wife and two children.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 'Fast & Furious 7': New Brian O' Connor And Dominic Toretto Scene Surfaces
- ‘The Voice’ Season 7 (2014) Winner: Eliminated Contestants Predict Who Could Win It All
- Prince Harry Enjoys Three-Day Visit To Oman, Picks Up Present For Prince George And Performs With Traditional Sword Dancers
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Mariah Carey-Nick Cannon Divorce: Mariah Claims Infidelity, Nick's Affair With Amber Rose To Blame -- Report
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices