'American Sniper' Author Chris Kyle Shot Dead, 'Deadliest US Sniper' Purportedly Killed By Post-Tramatic Stress Victim
February 4, 2013 3:54 AM EST
"American Sniper" author and ex-Navy SEAL Chris Kyle was fatally shot at gun range in Glen Rose, Texas, Saturday. A second man, Chad Littlefield, was also gunned down.
According to the New York Times, a Texas man, Eddie Ray Routh, 25, has been arrested in the crime.
Local TV station WFAA-TV reported that Kyle was killed "while helping another soldier who was recovering from post-traumatic stress syndrome." Sources told the news outlet that Kyle and Littlefield were attempting to help Routh cope with his PTSD when he opened fire.
The killing occurred at the Rough Creek Lodge in Earth County. The lifeless bodies of Kyle, 38, and Littlefield, 36, were discovered at the scene.
According to police reports, Routh shot the men around 3:30 p.m. and fled the scene in a Ford pickup. He was arrested at his home in Lancaster. He was arraigned later Saturday and is charged with two counts of capital murder.
Kyle wrote the 2012 bestseller "American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History," which chronicled his time as a marksman from 1999 to 2009, including service in the Iraq War, where he is said to have shot 150 insurgents. According to NBC, as a member of Navy SEAL Team 3, Kyle earned the nickname the "Devil of Ramadi," and insurgents placed a $80,000 bounty on his head.
The legendary sniper was decorated with two Silver Stars, two Navy Achievement Medals and five Bronze Stars.
Kyle's post-military career included his involvement with the FITCO Cares Foundation, which assists wounded and PTSD veterans.
FITCO has posted a statement honoring Kyle.
"The FITCO Cares Foundation will always carry the torch to help our brave men and women who have survived combat but are still fighting to survive post traumatic stress disorder. Chris Kyle helped establish this foundation, and we are committed to make sure his memory lives on forever."
Please pray for all those who loved Chris. He will be forever missed."
Kyle is survived by his wife and two children.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Update: Louise And Blake To Make Their First Appearance As A Couple In Australia
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists