'American Sniper' Author Chris Kyle Shot Dead, 'Deadliest US Sniper' Purportedly Killed By Post-Tramatic Stress Victim
February 4, 2013 3:54 AM EST
"American Sniper" author and ex-Navy SEAL Chris Kyle was fatally shot at gun range in Glen Rose, Texas, Saturday. A second man, Chad Littlefield, was also gunned down.
According to the New York Times, a Texas man, Eddie Ray Routh, 25, has been arrested in the crime.
Local TV station WFAA-TV reported that Kyle was killed "while helping another soldier who was recovering from post-traumatic stress syndrome." Sources told the news outlet that Kyle and Littlefield were attempting to help Routh cope with his PTSD when he opened fire.
The killing occurred at the Rough Creek Lodge in Earth County. The lifeless bodies of Kyle, 38, and Littlefield, 36, were discovered at the scene.
According to police reports, Routh shot the men around 3:30 p.m. and fled the scene in a Ford pickup. He was arrested at his home in Lancaster. He was arraigned later Saturday and is charged with two counts of capital murder.
Kyle wrote the 2012 bestseller "American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History," which chronicled his time as a marksman from 1999 to 2009, including service in the Iraq War, where he is said to have shot 150 insurgents. According to NBC, as a member of Navy SEAL Team 3, Kyle earned the nickname the "Devil of Ramadi," and insurgents placed a $80,000 bounty on his head.
The legendary sniper was decorated with two Silver Stars, two Navy Achievement Medals and five Bronze Stars.
Kyle's post-military career included his involvement with the FITCO Cares Foundation, which assists wounded and PTSD veterans.
FITCO has posted a statement honoring Kyle.
"The FITCO Cares Foundation will always carry the torch to help our brave men and women who have survived combat but are still fighting to survive post traumatic stress disorder. Chris Kyle helped establish this foundation, and we are committed to make sure his memory lives on forever."
Please pray for all those who loved Chris. He will be forever missed."
Kyle is survived by his wife and two children.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related