'Blind Side' Family Will Be Cheering For Michael Oher During Super Bowl 2013 In New Orleans
By IB Times Staff Reporter | February 4, 2013 3:24 AM EST
When Baltimore Ravens lineman Michael Oher takes the field on Super Bowl Sunday, the Tuohy family will be in the stadium cheering him on. The Tuohys -- the real-life family from “The Blind Side” book by Michael Lewis and movie -- took Oher into their home when he was just a teenager and introduced him to football, part of the reason he’ll be competing for the Vince Lombardi Trophy in New Orleans.
Family patriarch Sean Tuohy -- a former college basketball star who now owns a dozen restaurants and is part of the Memphis Grizzlies telecast -- is from New Orleans, where he went to high school with Lewis. Sean and his wife Leigh Anne, played by Sandra Bullock in the 2009 movie, own a house there.
“We've got a huge sign in our garage that says: 'We believe in miracles,' " he told The Associated Press. "For other people, it may be hard to understand that. For us, it's easy."
The “Blind Side” family (as they’ve come to be known) helped Oher nurture his football skills, which eventually led to a scholarship at Ole Miss. Oher was drafted by the Baltimore Ravens in 2009 and has started every game in his four-year NFL career.
"To me, when I look at Michael, the only downside of it is, you sit there and go, If someone as immensely talented as Michael Oher, that society pretty much didn't value, almost falls through the cracks, can you imagine who gets left behind?" Leigh Anne Tuohy said. "So you sit there and go, 'How many kids are out there that if given a chance can be a Michael Oher.'"
For all the fanfare, though, Oher is sick of talking about the movie that made him a household name.
“I’m tired of the movie. I’m here to play football,” he said during a media scrum in the week leading up to the Super Bowl. He cited inaccuracies in the movie that portrayed him as stupid. “Football is what got me here, and the movie, it wasn’t me. I always knew how to play football growing up. It was different personalities, stuff like that. Playing football is what got me to this point.”
Still, the success of the movie has allowed the “Blind Side” family to start a charity called Making It Happen, which offers financial support to kids growing up below the poverty line or in unstable homes. Sometimes they’re even joined by the Bullock, who won an Oscar for her portrayal of Mrs. Tuohy.
"We all can invest time, and that's made Michael, us investing time in this young man and loving him," Leigh Anne Tuohy said. "That's given him the character, not the check. You need it to go hand-in-hand if it can, but we're all capable of investing time."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Clears That Fredrik Neij And Peter Sunde Are Not TPB Founders
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Out There To Save His Two Favourite Ladies In Mid-season Finale
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- Mark Ruffalo Turns Into Hulk For His Daughter And Another Preschooler
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change