Facebook Had 76 Million Fake Accounts in 2012
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 3, 2013 10:23 PM EST
Popular social networking site Facebook housed 76 million fake accounts in the year 2012, according to a new report.
In an annual report filed at the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission, Facebook said out of the 1.06 billion user accounts on its platform 76 million accounts were found to be phony. The company catalogued these phony accounts under three types which include duplicate accounts, misclassified accounts and undesirable accounts.
"The numbers of our monthly active users (MAUs), daily active users (DAUs), mobile MAUs, and average revenue per user (ARPU) are calculated using internal company data based on the activity of user accounts," explained the report, as quoted by Tech2. "While these numbers are based on what we believe to be reasonable estimates of our user base for the applicable period of measurement, there are inherent challenges in measuring usage of our products across large online and mobile populations around the world."
Facebook totaled 53 million accounts as duplicate accounts and almost 14 million accounts as misclassified accounts. The company noted that more number of such accounts were from the countries like Indonesia and Turkey and fewer accounts came from the US and Australia. Facebook's efforts to rein such kind of activities its platform are still continuing.
"We are continually seeking to improve our ability to identify duplicate or false accounts and estimate the total number of such accounts, and such estimates may change due to improvements or changes in our methodology," the report said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Hungry Jack’s Joins McDonald’s Australia Monopoly Campaign With McOpoly Promo
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Surge Expected Soon as Analysts Predict iPhone Opening Weekend Sales
- Furore Over Facebook Mark Zuckerberg $10m Fortress In San Francisco
- Alibaba Sells Extra Shares; IPO Raises $25B, Breaks Global Record
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed