Splash! Tom Daley Coaches Eddie ‘The Eagle’ Edwards to First Place in Celebrity Diving Competition [VIDEO]
By Simi John | February 3, 2013 8:34 PM EST
Britain's legendary Olympic ski-jumper Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards has finally won a prize, emerging as the winner of the first season of ITV's celebrity diving competition, Splash! The 49-year-old will no doubt view the win with some delight. As Britain's first Olympic ski-jumper, Edwards is normally celebrated for his heroic failures, having crashed out in last place at the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics. His nickname is enduring testament to Britain's love of irony.
In the pool, Edwards saw off competition from Linda Barker, an interior designer, and actor Jake Canuso. The skier then thanked a "wonderful" audience: "It's been fantastic. Thank you for getting behind me."
Edwards impressed the judges with his first dive - scoring a maximum 30 points - a two-and-a-half somersault from the 10m board. Celebrity judge Lo Brand said: "You just need to master hang gliding and you could be the next Milk Tray man!"
Meanwhile, the judges were equally delighted after a special synchronised dive with Tom Daley, Britain's bronze medallist at the 2012 London Olympics. The effort was scored 59 from a possible 60 points. Finally, Edwards completed a hat-trick after collecting maximum votes from the public as well, leading to a unanimous win.
Daley, who mentored 15 celebrities for the reality television series, said he would love to come back for more.
"I don't know whether a second series is going ahead, but I'd love to be involved because it's a show that I've really enjoyed doing and something that I'd love to do as long as I can," the 18-year-old said, "I'd love to think diving can stay on primetime TV for as long as possible because I think it's something people can enjoy. The Olympics have really given the sports that don't have as many people watching them a bit of a boost."
Canuso, who came second, and Barker took to Twitter to share their experiences.
"Guys. Thanks so much for all the support and voting and 'rooting' for me. It's been amazing! I couldn't be happier. It's booze o'clock!!!!" Canuso wrote.
"Thank you for voting! Sorry I didn't win for you. Been amazing fun. You've been amazing. Thank you. Xxx," Barker tweeted.
The Calgary 1988 performance that earned Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards his nickname is available on YouTube. Click below to watch.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon