Nissan to Launch 10 New Models in India by 2016; Automatic Variants of Micra, Sunny Coming Soon
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 3, 2013 8:08 PM EST
Japanese auto giant Nissan is all set to introduce the automatic variants of its Micra and Sunny cars to India.
Announcing its plan for the coming years, Nissan said it hopes to achieve 10 percent market share in India by the end of 2016 financial year and would roll out a series of car models during this period.
"Nissan has set a target of 10 per cent market share in India by the end of fiscal 2016. To achieve this target, the company is planning to launch 10 models till 2016 and planning to expand its dealership network to 300 from the current 95. At present, the company's market share in India's passenger vehicle segment is around 1.5-1.6 per cent," said Toshiyuki Shiga, chief operating officer, Nissan Motor Company, told Business Standard.
The continuous variable transmission (CVT) model of Micra and Sunny would be the first to hit the road in 2013. This will be followed by a compact SUV and Datsun model in the same year. The new SUV, codenamed NH87, is expected to be an improved version of Renault Duster.
"The continuous variable transmission (CVT) model will give 10 per cent better fuel efficiency than the current models. It will also give out lesser emissions. Globally, we have sold 12 million CVT units and our target is 20 million by 2016," said Shiga.
For the year 2014, the company is planning to launch a low-cost Datsun car in India. He said "The car will be sold at a cost of Rs. 4 lakhs and the aim is to attract those who want to buy their first car".
The company is also looking at the possibility of a separate dealership for the Datsun brand in the country. It is yet to be clarified whether the dealership will fall under Nissan India or Hoover Automotive India.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock May Reach $150; First Trillion Company Talks, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch Boost Price
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan