How to Save Apple iOS 6.1 SHSH Blobs for Future Downgrade [Tutorial]
By Vinod Yalburgi | February 3, 2013 7:27 PM EST
The eagerly awaited untethered jailbreak for iOS 6 is just around the corner and it is time to prepare for the impending jailbreak, as well as safeguarding existing jailbreak tweaks and apps for future use.
Saving the SHSH blobs for iOS 6.1 is the first step to ensure a safe downgrade path to iOS 6.1 in case of inadvertent software upgrades in the future. Without these blobs,it is not possible to restore the original firmware in order to get back the previous jailbreak tweaks and apps.
As iDownloadBlog notes, Apple has been proactive in releasing quick periodic updates for iOS and you might miss the opportunity to save the necessary blobs after a hasty new update is accidentally installed.
Here is the step-by-step guide to save iOS 6.1 SHSH blobs for a future rollback or downgrade from a higher version of iOS:
Step 1: Download TinyUmbrella for Windows, Mac or Linux to the computer.
Step 2: Save the downloaded TinyUmbrella file to the desktop and double-click on the app icon to begin initialisation.
Step 4: Navigate to top-left-hand corner of TinyUmbrella app and select device
Step 5: Tap Advanced tab, and uncheck or disable the following options:
- Save ALL Available SHSH
- Request SHSH from Cydia
Step 6: Allocate a dedicated save SHSH directory by creating an SHSH folder on the desktop. This will ease the effort in finding backed up SHSH blobs for future use.
Step 7: Click the Log tab to view the status of earlier save attempts for SHSH blobs.
Step 8: Now, proceed to the actual step of saving the blobs. Hit save SHSH, and TinyUmbrella will try saving SHSH blobs for iOS 6.1 (or any latest iOS firmware that Apple is signing) to the directory you created in step 6. A message reading "SHSH SUCCESSFULLY SAVED" will appear on screen if the process finished correctly.
Step 9: Now, open the SHSH folder on the desktop (created in step 6), and check if the necessary SHSH blob is available. Make sure that the blob is named appropriately with the correct device name and firmware version number.
NOTE: The instructions provided in this guide are meant to save the currently signed firmware only, and hence it does not recover previously saved SHSH blobs that Apple is no longer signing. However, if you want to do so, just keep both the options checked in step 5.
It is recommended to periodically back up the folder containing SHSH blobs to a safer location such as Dropbox. In future, if the device becomes inaccessible or needs to be formatted, then you can easily restore the device using SHSH blobs from an external storage medium.
For further assistance, check out the video tutorial below:
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell