Hyundai Raises Car Prices up to ₹20,878, Readying New Compact 'BA' to Take on Maruti
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 3, 2013 6:44 PM EST
India's second-largest car manufacturer Hyundai has hiked the prices of all its car models up to ₹20,878 in a move to counter the currency flux.
"On account of the rise in input cost and fluctuation in currency, the price hike has been necessitated. We have increased the prices in the range of ₹ 4,201 to ₹ 20,878 across all the models. We have tried to absorb the maximum cost to minimise the price increase to cause less inconvenience to our valued customers," HMIL Vice President Sales and Marketing Rakesh Srivastava said in a statement announcing the increase in car prices.
The domestic auto market registered slower growth over the past couple of months and Hyundai's announcement of a hike was a wake-up call to the current market situation of the country. Towards the end of the 2012, other auto majors in the country like Maruti and General Motors have hiked the prices of cars citing increased production cost and currency fluctuation in the global market as main reasons.
Meanwhile, latest reports said that the Korean auto major is also readying a new compact car, codenamed 'BA', to take on Maruti Suzuki's Swift and Ritz hatchbacks. Sources who spoke on condition of anonymity told the Economic Times that the upcoming car will be positioned between the i10 and the i20.
"The new small car diesel and i20 are likely to form a potent combination to counter the Maruti Swift and Ritz. And, there is a strong possibility for a sub-4 metre notchback to take on Dzire, but no clarity has emerged," said one of the four people as quoted by ET.
Over 100 engineers from India are reportedly working on this project and the car is currently undergoing test in South Korea. The company declined to comment on the report, but said that it has plans to release one or two cars every year, reported The Times of India.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports