Cristiano Ronaldo Excited about Manchester United Return
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 3, 2013 6:34 PM EST
Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo has revealed he is looking forward to returning to Manchester, as the Spanish giants prepare to take on the Premier League leaders in the first leg of their Champions League knock-out tie, on 13 February.
The 27-year-old Portuguese international spent six years at Old Trafford before his world record transfer to the Spanish capital in 2009. The two-legged tie against Sir Alex Ferguson's men will be the first time he has faced United since joining Madrid.
"I am so happy to be going back to Manchester. Manchester was my home and still is in my heart. I love it. Because when people treat you very well you never forget that. And I will never forget United, the people who work there and the supporters," Ronaldo explained.
The former Sporting player claimed he had a "strong feeling" that Madrid would face United in the Champions League this season. Madrid qualified second from their group - the Group of Death - behind Bundesliga champions Borussia Dortmund. United, meanwhile, topped Group H, beating out Romanians CFR Cluj, Portuguese club SC Braga and the Turkish side Galatasaray, who came second.
"On the day of the draw I was out training and I had this strong feeling that we were going to get Manchester United. When the draw was made I was very happy. It's a tough match of course - Madrid and United are the two biggest clubs in the world and it's a real 50-50. It could go either way," the former United star added.
The good news for United fans is that the Spanish champions are not enjoying a great run in La Liga. The brilliant performance in the midweek Spanish cup game (against Barcelona) was not repeated on Saturday evening, when a bizarre own goal by Ronaldo handed Jose Mourinho a sixth defeat of the league season. The defending champions are third in the league, with 43 points. They trail arch-rivals and leaders Barcelona by 15 and second-placed city rivals Atletico Madrid by four points.
In addition, Madrid No 1 and captain Iker Casillas has been sidelined with an injury to his hand and the veteran Spanish international is likely to miss both legs of the Champions League tie with United.
Ronaldo has been linked with a return to Old Trafford and his admiration for United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is well known. However, the forward was quick to emphasise that regardless of his feelings for United, he was committed to Madrid's project.
"Manchester United are the best team in England, they are great. Every year they win something. And they have a fantastic coach in Sir Alex Ferguson, I know that. But so have we in Jose Mourinho. And he's my coach now so I obviously hope Mourinho wins," Ronaldo concluded.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How