Man Found With $70 Million Check Was Iranian Central Bank Chief
By Eric Brown | February 3, 2013 3:19 PM EST
A previously unidentified man who was caught attempting to enter Germany last month with a check worth about $70 million in his baggage has now been named.
On Sunday, the German weekly newspaper Bild am Sonntag reported the well-heeled mystery man was the former head of Iran’s central bank, Tahmasb Mazaheri, according to the Associated Press.
On Friday, the German customs agency issued a statement saying that on Jan. 21, its officials at the Duesseldorf International Airport found the check for 300 million Venezuelan bolivars issued by the Bank of Venezuela in the luggage of an unidentified 59-year-old man.
Mazaheri was governor of the Central Bank of the Islamic Republic of Iran between 2007 and 2008, according to the bank's online site.
Bild am Sonntag reported that German authorities are investigating possible money laundering in the connection with the check, AP said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Canada Claims Good Progress in EU Trade Pact Despite Germany’s Defiant Postures
- ACCC Targets Australian Companies Over Scrapped Carbon Tax; Orders Virgin, Qantas to Explain Why No Savings to Give Back to Consumers
- EU & U.S. Announce Further Sanctions against Russia
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- A Mother Of Two Dies While Undergoing Stem Cell Treatment
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Human Guinea Pigs for Google Health Projects