Grand Central Station Celebrates 100th Birthday
By Fiona Keating | February 3, 2013 5:09 AM EST
The Grand Central Terminal took ten years to build at a cost of £1.3 billion by today's figures. When it opened on 2 February 1913 at midnight, over 150,000 people visited the transportation hub.
Friday's commemoration took place exactly 100 years after the station master was given the key to Grand Central, located in midtown Manhattan.
In honour of the milestone, the station's shops were charging 1913 prices: 10 cents for a shoeshine and 19 cents for a slice of cheesecake.
Built by the Vanderbilt family in the Beaux Arts style with grand staircases, chandeliers and a multi-million-dollar clock, the terminal is one of the world's top tourist attractions and still serves New York's commuters.
Some 750,000 people pass through the station every day.
But the building has not always been in the rudest health. In the 1970s, the station was in need of major repairs.
Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis led a campaign to save it from being torn down and replaced with an office tower.
The battle eventually went to the US Supreme Court, which ruled in 1978 that cities have the right to protect historic buildings even if it prevents the owner from developing or selling the property.
Mrs Onassis' daughter, Caroline Kennedy, was one of the speakers at Friday's celebration in the terminal's main concourse.
Other scheduled speakers include Sex and the City actress Cynthia Nixon, former Mets baseball star Keith Hernandez and former poet laureate Billy Collins.
"It's not easy to last 100 years in a city of constant change," New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said at the beginning of the event.
Fascinating facts about Grand Central Station
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying