Grand Central Station Celebrates 100th Birthday
By Fiona Keating | February 3, 2013 5:09 AM EST
The Grand Central Terminal took ten years to build at a cost of £1.3 billion by today's figures. When it opened on 2 February 1913 at midnight, over 150,000 people visited the transportation hub.
Friday's commemoration took place exactly 100 years after the station master was given the key to Grand Central, located in midtown Manhattan.
In honour of the milestone, the station's shops were charging 1913 prices: 10 cents for a shoeshine and 19 cents for a slice of cheesecake.
Built by the Vanderbilt family in the Beaux Arts style with grand staircases, chandeliers and a multi-million-dollar clock, the terminal is one of the world's top tourist attractions and still serves New York's commuters.
Some 750,000 people pass through the station every day.
But the building has not always been in the rudest health. In the 1970s, the station was in need of major repairs.
Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis led a campaign to save it from being torn down and replaced with an office tower.
The battle eventually went to the US Supreme Court, which ruled in 1978 that cities have the right to protect historic buildings even if it prevents the owner from developing or selling the property.
Mrs Onassis' daughter, Caroline Kennedy, was one of the speakers at Friday's celebration in the terminal's main concourse.
Other scheduled speakers include Sex and the City actress Cynthia Nixon, former Mets baseball star Keith Hernandez and former poet laureate Billy Collins.
"It's not easy to last 100 years in a city of constant change," New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said at the beginning of the event.
Fascinating facts about Grand Central Station
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone