Grand Central Station Celebrates 100th Birthday
By Fiona Keating | February 3, 2013 5:09 AM EST
The Grand Central Terminal took ten years to build at a cost of £1.3 billion by today's figures. When it opened on 2 February 1913 at midnight, over 150,000 people visited the transportation hub.
Friday's commemoration took place exactly 100 years after the station master was given the key to Grand Central, located in midtown Manhattan.
In honour of the milestone, the station's shops were charging 1913 prices: 10 cents for a shoeshine and 19 cents for a slice of cheesecake.
Built by the Vanderbilt family in the Beaux Arts style with grand staircases, chandeliers and a multi-million-dollar clock, the terminal is one of the world's top tourist attractions and still serves New York's commuters.
Some 750,000 people pass through the station every day.
But the building has not always been in the rudest health. In the 1970s, the station was in need of major repairs.
Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis led a campaign to save it from being torn down and replaced with an office tower.
The battle eventually went to the US Supreme Court, which ruled in 1978 that cities have the right to protect historic buildings even if it prevents the owner from developing or selling the property.
Mrs Onassis' daughter, Caroline Kennedy, was one of the speakers at Friday's celebration in the terminal's main concourse.
Other scheduled speakers include Sex and the City actress Cynthia Nixon, former Mets baseball star Keith Hernandez and former poet laureate Billy Collins.
"It's not easy to last 100 years in a city of constant change," New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said at the beginning of the event.
Fascinating facts about Grand Central Station
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- New Zealand PM John Key Aware of Kiwis Joining ISIS; New Zealand Not Ready For Airstrikes
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate