Super Bowl 2013: Expert Predictions From ESPN, National, And Local Writers For Sunday's Baltimore Ravens - San Francisco Game
February 3, 2013 2:58 AM EST
Big screens, wings, drinks, and predictions. Whether right or wrong, bold picks have become a staple of Super Bowl Sunday much like the rest of the party fare.
Over the past eight years, the underdog has covered the spread, according to OddsShark.com. That should put Baltimore Ravens fans in a good mood, along with many experts picking them to outright defeat the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans.
San Francisco is favored by four points, with second-year quarterback Colin Kaepernick leading the way. Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco and his stellar play this postseason, were big reasons experts went against Vegas oddsmakers.
San Francisco’s Frank Gore and Baltimore's Ray Rice were also mentioned as X-Factors, with both team’s success hinging on their ability to run the ball Sunday.
Check out some of the expert’s predictions and scores below.
Peter King, BAL 27, SF 23
Don Banks, SF 31, BAL 20
Jim Trotter, BAL 27, SF 24
Sports Illustrated overwhelming picked an upset with the Baltimore Ravens clinching its second world championship, albeit by a touchdown or less. Two SI writers picked the 49ers to win by more than a touchdown.
A mix of ESPN’s anchors and TV hosts overall picked Baltimore by a slight margin, though “SportsNation’s” Marcellus Wiley went all out with a bold 49ers 40-19 blowout.
Chris Berman, BAL 27, SF 26
Bill Simmons, SF To Win
Mike Ditka, SF 28, BAL 24
Chris Mortensen, SF 31, BAL 23
John Clayton, SF 28, BAL 24
Adam Schefter, SF 17, BAL 14
Marcellus Wiley, SF 40, BAL 19
Kevin Cowherd, BAL 27, SF 20
Edward Lee, SF 31, BAL 28
Mike Preston, BAL, 27, SF, 24
Perhaps influenced by their Ravens constituency, Baltimore Sun beat writers picked the home town team, with one exception.
The game kicks off Sunday at 6:30 p.m. eastern and will be broadcast by CBS, with an expected audience of over 100 million worldwide.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]