Super Bowl 2013: Expert Predictions From ESPN, National, And Local Writers For Sunday's Baltimore Ravens - San Francisco Game
February 3, 2013 2:58 AM EST
Big screens, wings, drinks, and predictions. Whether right or wrong, bold picks have become a staple of Super Bowl Sunday much like the rest of the party fare.
Over the past eight years, the underdog has covered the spread, according to OddsShark.com. That should put Baltimore Ravens fans in a good mood, along with many experts picking them to outright defeat the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans.
San Francisco is favored by four points, with second-year quarterback Colin Kaepernick leading the way. Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco and his stellar play this postseason, were big reasons experts went against Vegas oddsmakers.
San Francisco’s Frank Gore and Baltimore's Ray Rice were also mentioned as X-Factors, with both team’s success hinging on their ability to run the ball Sunday.
Check out some of the expert’s predictions and scores below.
Peter King, BAL 27, SF 23
Don Banks, SF 31, BAL 20
Jim Trotter, BAL 27, SF 24
Sports Illustrated overwhelming picked an upset with the Baltimore Ravens clinching its second world championship, albeit by a touchdown or less. Two SI writers picked the 49ers to win by more than a touchdown.
A mix of ESPN’s anchors and TV hosts overall picked Baltimore by a slight margin, though “SportsNation’s” Marcellus Wiley went all out with a bold 49ers 40-19 blowout.
Chris Berman, BAL 27, SF 26
Bill Simmons, SF To Win
Mike Ditka, SF 28, BAL 24
Chris Mortensen, SF 31, BAL 23
John Clayton, SF 28, BAL 24
Adam Schefter, SF 17, BAL 14
Marcellus Wiley, SF 40, BAL 19
Kevin Cowherd, BAL 27, SF 20
Edward Lee, SF 31, BAL 28
Mike Preston, BAL, 27, SF, 24
Perhaps influenced by their Ravens constituency, Baltimore Sun beat writers picked the home town team, with one exception.
The game kicks off Sunday at 6:30 p.m. eastern and will be broadcast by CBS, with an expected audience of over 100 million worldwide.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports