Super Bowl 2013: Expert Predictions From ESPN, National, And Local Writers For Sunday's Baltimore Ravens - San Francisco Game
February 3, 2013 2:58 AM EST
Big screens, wings, drinks, and predictions. Whether right or wrong, bold picks have become a staple of Super Bowl Sunday much like the rest of the party fare.
Over the past eight years, the underdog has covered the spread, according to OddsShark.com. That should put Baltimore Ravens fans in a good mood, along with many experts picking them to outright defeat the San Francisco 49ers in Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans.
San Francisco is favored by four points, with second-year quarterback Colin Kaepernick leading the way. Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco and his stellar play this postseason, were big reasons experts went against Vegas oddsmakers.
San Francisco’s Frank Gore and Baltimore's Ray Rice were also mentioned as X-Factors, with both team’s success hinging on their ability to run the ball Sunday.
Check out some of the expert’s predictions and scores below.
Peter King, BAL 27, SF 23
Don Banks, SF 31, BAL 20
Jim Trotter, BAL 27, SF 24
Sports Illustrated overwhelming picked an upset with the Baltimore Ravens clinching its second world championship, albeit by a touchdown or less. Two SI writers picked the 49ers to win by more than a touchdown.
A mix of ESPN’s anchors and TV hosts overall picked Baltimore by a slight margin, though “SportsNation’s” Marcellus Wiley went all out with a bold 49ers 40-19 blowout.
Chris Berman, BAL 27, SF 26
Bill Simmons, SF To Win
Mike Ditka, SF 28, BAL 24
Chris Mortensen, SF 31, BAL 23
John Clayton, SF 28, BAL 24
Adam Schefter, SF 17, BAL 14
Marcellus Wiley, SF 40, BAL 19
Kevin Cowherd, BAL 27, SF 20
Edward Lee, SF 31, BAL 28
Mike Preston, BAL, 27, SF, 24
Perhaps influenced by their Ravens constituency, Baltimore Sun beat writers picked the home town team, with one exception.
The game kicks off Sunday at 6:30 p.m. eastern and will be broadcast by CBS, with an expected audience of over 100 million worldwide.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales