David Beckham Could Net £20M to Promote Qatar World Cup
By Tom Porter | February 3, 2013 1:38 AM EST
David Beckham could be set to earn more than £20 million from his new club's backers to rehabilitate the image of the forthcoming football World Cup in Qatar.
Former England captain Beckham, 37, this week signed a five-month deal worth £3m with French club Paris Saint Germain (PSG), which is owned by the investment arm of the wealthy gulf state, and said he would donate his earnings to a children's charity.
Impressed by his campaigning to help London win the Olympic bid and his work for England's failed attempt to host the 2018 World Cup, Qatar believe that Beckham has the global clout to generate huge publicity for the 2022 competition, which has been mired in allegations of corruption.
A lawyer hired as FIFA's chief ethics investigator said recently that he has unearthed evidence of corruption in process leading to both the 2018 World Cup being awarded to Russia and Qatar's successful 2022 bid, according to France Football magazine.
There are also doubts over the country's capacity to host the competition in June and July, when temperatures soar to 50 degrees centigrade.
Experts believe the owners will be interested in Beckham's profile in the USA, where he played for LA Galaxy for five years, boosting the popularity of football.
Sources speaking to The Sun said that Beckham's five-month deal with PSG was the first phase of a campaign that will see the former Manchester United and Real Madrid star compete as a player coach in a Qatar Stars League later this year and could earn Beckham £20m over two years.
Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy has - ridiculously - been accused this week of helping Qatar win the World Cup bid in exchange for the country buying PSG, the team Sarkozy supports.
PSG stars often appear in adverts for the Qatar Tourism Authority, which recently signed a £200m deal with the club.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4