David Beckham Could Net £20M to Promote Qatar World Cup
By Tom Porter | February 3, 2013 1:38 AM EST
David Beckham could be set to earn more than £20 million from his new club's backers to rehabilitate the image of the forthcoming football World Cup in Qatar.
Former England captain Beckham, 37, this week signed a five-month deal worth £3m with French club Paris Saint Germain (PSG), which is owned by the investment arm of the wealthy gulf state, and said he would donate his earnings to a children's charity.
Impressed by his campaigning to help London win the Olympic bid and his work for England's failed attempt to host the 2018 World Cup, Qatar believe that Beckham has the global clout to generate huge publicity for the 2022 competition, which has been mired in allegations of corruption.
A lawyer hired as FIFA's chief ethics investigator said recently that he has unearthed evidence of corruption in process leading to both the 2018 World Cup being awarded to Russia and Qatar's successful 2022 bid, according to France Football magazine.
There are also doubts over the country's capacity to host the competition in June and July, when temperatures soar to 50 degrees centigrade.
Experts believe the owners will be interested in Beckham's profile in the USA, where he played for LA Galaxy for five years, boosting the popularity of football.
Sources speaking to The Sun said that Beckham's five-month deal with PSG was the first phase of a campaign that will see the former Manchester United and Real Madrid star compete as a player coach in a Qatar Stars League later this year and could earn Beckham £20m over two years.
Former French president Nicolas Sarkozy has - ridiculously - been accused this week of helping Qatar win the World Cup bid in exchange for the country buying PSG, the team Sarkozy supports.
PSG stars often appear in adverts for the Qatar Tourism Authority, which recently signed a £200m deal with the club.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon