Iran Accused of Switching Space Monkeys
By Timur Moon | February 3, 2013 1:31 AM EST
Iran's claim to have successfully launched a rocket into space has been undermined by doubts over the monkey it says travelled on board on the mission.
Tehran trumpeted its success in launching the Kavoshgar rocket 75 miles above the earth, complete with primate, in a capsule named Pishgam, or Pioneer.
The launch caused immediate alarm in Israel, with Iran appearing to have struck the first blow in a feared Middle East space race, defying international sanctions to develop technology that could be used in nuclear warheads.
But images released before and after the launch suggest the hardline Islamic state may simply have been monkeying around.
Photographs taken before the launch showed a light-furred animal with a distinctive red mole above its right eye. But the monkey that 'returned' had dark fur, and no mole.
While footage of the rocket launch had been widely distributed, there was no evidence to show the rocket had returned to earth, observers noted.
Iranian defence minister Ahmad Vahidi marked the launch, on the 34th anniversary of the Islamic Revolution, saying: "This success was the first step towards man conquering space and it paves the way for other moves.
"The monkey which was sent in this launch landed safely and alive and this is a big step for our experts and scientists."
But Yariv Bash, founder of Space Israel, which is developing an unmanned Israeli spaceship to fly to the moon, said the pictures showed Tel Aviv had less to fear than initially feared.
"It looks like a very different monkey - the nose, the features, everything is different," said Bash. "This means that either the original monkey died from a heart attack after the rocket landed, or that the experiment didn't go that well."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales