Iran Accused of Switching Space Monkeys
By Timur Moon | February 3, 2013 1:31 AM EST
Iran's claim to have successfully launched a rocket into space has been undermined by doubts over the monkey it says travelled on board on the mission.
Tehran trumpeted its success in launching the Kavoshgar rocket 75 miles above the earth, complete with primate, in a capsule named Pishgam, or Pioneer.
The launch caused immediate alarm in Israel, with Iran appearing to have struck the first blow in a feared Middle East space race, defying international sanctions to develop technology that could be used in nuclear warheads.
But images released before and after the launch suggest the hardline Islamic state may simply have been monkeying around.
Photographs taken before the launch showed a light-furred animal with a distinctive red mole above its right eye. But the monkey that 'returned' had dark fur, and no mole.
While footage of the rocket launch had been widely distributed, there was no evidence to show the rocket had returned to earth, observers noted.
Iranian defence minister Ahmad Vahidi marked the launch, on the 34th anniversary of the Islamic Revolution, saying: "This success was the first step towards man conquering space and it paves the way for other moves.
"The monkey which was sent in this launch landed safely and alive and this is a big step for our experts and scientists."
But Yariv Bash, founder of Space Israel, which is developing an unmanned Israeli spaceship to fly to the moon, said the pictures showed Tel Aviv had less to fear than initially feared.
"It looks like a very different monkey - the nose, the features, everything is different," said Bash. "This means that either the original monkey died from a heart attack after the rocket landed, or that the experiment didn't go that well."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Duchess Forced By The Queen To Be Out In The Public Again
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks