Mancini Prepares Summer Move for Liverpool Star - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 3, 2013 12:32 AM EST
Premier League champions Manchester City are preparing a £40m summer bid for Liverpool star Luis Suarez, according to The Sun. The Uruguay international is in impressive form for the Merseyside club, netting 17 times in 23 league appearances. His overall tally is 22 goals in 32 appearances.
City are scheduled to play Liverpool on Sunday and are believed to be considering the 26-year-old Suárez as a replacement for Italy striker Mario Balotelli. The 22-year-old Balotelli returned to his homeland in the January window, with AC Milan spending £19m for his signature.
City manager Roberto Mancini is a known admirer of Suarez, explaining: "For me, Suarez is a top player. I like him as he is strong, he works. He's one of the best in England. Suarez plays for Liverpool. He has quality and is strong."
Suarez, who joined the Anfield club from Dutch giants Ajax, has also been linked with a summer move to Bayern Munich, where ex-Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola will take charge in the summer.
Fortunately for Liverpool fans, Suárez has dismissed all reports of a move away from Liverpool and has insisted that playing for the Anfield club is his dream
Mancini has, for now, the services of Argentine duo Carlos Tevez and Sergio Aguero, with Bosnian international Edin Dzeko as well. However, Dzeko has already hinted at a possible summer exit from the Etihad and both Argentine internationals are also uncertain of their City future, with Tevez having expressed a desire to return home and Aguero's personal problems leading to the possibility of a return to Spain.
Mancini: United Will Drop Points in February
Meanwhile, Mancini believes Premier League leaders Manchester United will drop points in February. Sir Alex Ferguson's side are on top of the table with 59 points from 24 games and lead the champions by seven points.
"When we arrive at the end of February, the gap will be very, very small. In every championship, never has one team won a title in January. We should fight until April. If they have seven, eight, nine points in April it could be difficult. But in this moment we have a big chance," Mancini explained.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports