Mancini Prepares Summer Move for Liverpool Star - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 3, 2013 12:32 AM EST
Premier League champions Manchester City are preparing a £40m summer bid for Liverpool star Luis Suarez, according to The Sun. The Uruguay international is in impressive form for the Merseyside club, netting 17 times in 23 league appearances. His overall tally is 22 goals in 32 appearances.
City are scheduled to play Liverpool on Sunday and are believed to be considering the 26-year-old Suárez as a replacement for Italy striker Mario Balotelli. The 22-year-old Balotelli returned to his homeland in the January window, with AC Milan spending £19m for his signature.
City manager Roberto Mancini is a known admirer of Suarez, explaining: "For me, Suarez is a top player. I like him as he is strong, he works. He's one of the best in England. Suarez plays for Liverpool. He has quality and is strong."
Suarez, who joined the Anfield club from Dutch giants Ajax, has also been linked with a summer move to Bayern Munich, where ex-Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola will take charge in the summer.
Fortunately for Liverpool fans, Suárez has dismissed all reports of a move away from Liverpool and has insisted that playing for the Anfield club is his dream
Mancini has, for now, the services of Argentine duo Carlos Tevez and Sergio Aguero, with Bosnian international Edin Dzeko as well. However, Dzeko has already hinted at a possible summer exit from the Etihad and both Argentine internationals are also uncertain of their City future, with Tevez having expressed a desire to return home and Aguero's personal problems leading to the possibility of a return to Spain.
Mancini: United Will Drop Points in February
Meanwhile, Mancini believes Premier League leaders Manchester United will drop points in February. Sir Alex Ferguson's side are on top of the table with 59 points from 24 games and lead the champions by seven points.
"When we arrive at the end of February, the gap will be very, very small. In every championship, never has one team won a title in January. We should fight until April. If they have seven, eight, nine points in April it could be difficult. But in this moment we have a big chance," Mancini explained.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]