Moyes: Everton's Deadline Day Move was Knocked Back
By Vishnuprasad S | February 2, 2013 11:43 PM EST
Everton manager David Moyes has revealed the Toffees failed with a late bid for Sevilla striker Alvaro Negredo on transfer deadline day.
The Merseyside outfit were understood to be willing to shell out around £9m for the 27-year-old on the final day of the January window, but the La Liga side held out for a higher fee and the transfer fell through.
"We tried [for Negredo], but it didn't work. They wanted a lot more money than we offered. We wanted to add players if we could who could go into the team and we tried to do that right up to the end, but for reasons out of our control it didn't happen. It wasn't for the want of trying, that is for sure," Moyes told Goal.com.
Negredo, who was part of Spain's Euro 2012 winning squad, has scored 15 goals from 24 appearances in all competitions for Sevilla this season. The Real Madrid product is strong, both on the ground and in the air, and is known for smart link-up play and an excellent work rate.
Moyes Considering Jelavic Recall
Meanwhile, Moyes explained the reasons for dropping striker Nikica Jelavic from the Everton starting line-up for the match against West Bromwich Albion at Goodison Park in midweek.
The Croatian was in sublime form when he joined the Toffees from Rangers a year ago, finding the net 11 times in 16 appearances in all competitions. However, the 27-year-old has struggled this season, with just seven goals from 24 matches.
Victor Anichebe was picked to lead the attack against the Baggies, with Moyes claiming he wanted to take some of the pressure off Jelavic but also added the goal was to get him back in form.
"It's been something I'd been considering for a while. I wanted to give him every opportunity to get his goals. I wanted to give him the chances to do it. But it just didn't quite happen. I decided in the end to give him a breather, and I thought Victor did well in the game. He gave us something different. I hope we'll get Jela back to form. That's the key to it," ESPN quoted Moyes as saying.
Jelavic is expected to start Saturday's home game against Aston Villa.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones