South Korean Tourist Drugged and Raped In Resort; MLA's Son Arrested
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 2, 2013 11:10 PM EST
A South Korean tourist was drugged and raped by the son of a resort owner on Jan 14 . The accused, who is also the manager of the resport, has confessed that he had sexually assaulted the girl.
The victim, a 23-year-old student, had come to India on her own on a tourist VISA and was staying in a resort in Madhya Pradesh's Bandhavgarh tiger reserve when the incident occurred.
Inspector Prakash Kulkarni said that the victim had registered a complaint in Aurangabad, Maharashtra two weeks after the incident claiming that she could not get over the shock and was hesitant in lodging the compliant.
"The incident happened last month but she said she did not have the courage to report it right away. She approached us on Thursday and we have registered a case against the accused," Kulkarni told AFP.
In her statement to the police, she had alleged that her drink was spiked following which she fell unconscious and eventually raped.
The police along with the victim reached the resort owned by a BJP MLA of Madhya Pradesh on Friday night and arrested his son Deepak Vishwakarma who admitted his involvement in the offence.
The police also said that the victim will undergo medical test to confirm rape on Saturday, after which the case will be transfered to their counterparts in Madhya Pradesh.
The incident came at a time when the country is faced with protests demanding enhanced laws to deal cases of sexual assault against women after the death of 23-year-old medical student who was gang raped in a moving bus on Dec.16. She died on Dec. 29 in a hospital in Singapore.
Nationwide protests were held seeking speedy justice to the gang rape victim, owing to which the Union Cabinet on Friday cleared an ordinance to promulgate strict anti-rape law. The ordinance include death penalty for accused if the victim dies or is left in vegetative state.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change