South Korean Tourist Drugged and Raped In Resort; MLA's Son Arrested
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 2, 2013 11:10 PM EST
A South Korean tourist was drugged and raped by the son of a resort owner on Jan 14 . The accused, who is also the manager of the resport, has confessed that he had sexually assaulted the girl.
The victim, a 23-year-old student, had come to India on her own on a tourist VISA and was staying in a resort in Madhya Pradesh's Bandhavgarh tiger reserve when the incident occurred.
Inspector Prakash Kulkarni said that the victim had registered a complaint in Aurangabad, Maharashtra two weeks after the incident claiming that she could not get over the shock and was hesitant in lodging the compliant.
"The incident happened last month but she said she did not have the courage to report it right away. She approached us on Thursday and we have registered a case against the accused," Kulkarni told AFP.
In her statement to the police, she had alleged that her drink was spiked following which she fell unconscious and eventually raped.
The police along with the victim reached the resort owned by a BJP MLA of Madhya Pradesh on Friday night and arrested his son Deepak Vishwakarma who admitted his involvement in the offence.
The police also said that the victim will undergo medical test to confirm rape on Saturday, after which the case will be transfered to their counterparts in Madhya Pradesh.
The incident came at a time when the country is faced with protests demanding enhanced laws to deal cases of sexual assault against women after the death of 23-year-old medical student who was gang raped in a moving bus on Dec.16. She died on Dec. 29 in a hospital in Singapore.
Nationwide protests were held seeking speedy justice to the gang rape victim, owing to which the Union Cabinet on Friday cleared an ordinance to promulgate strict anti-rape law. The ordinance include death penalty for accused if the victim dies or is left in vegetative state.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists