South Korean Tourist Drugged and Raped In Resort; MLA's Son Arrested
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 2, 2013 11:10 PM EST
A South Korean tourist was drugged and raped by the son of a resort owner on Jan 14 . The accused, who is also the manager of the resport, has confessed that he had sexually assaulted the girl.
The victim, a 23-year-old student, had come to India on her own on a tourist VISA and was staying in a resort in Madhya Pradesh's Bandhavgarh tiger reserve when the incident occurred.
Inspector Prakash Kulkarni said that the victim had registered a complaint in Aurangabad, Maharashtra two weeks after the incident claiming that she could not get over the shock and was hesitant in lodging the compliant.
"The incident happened last month but she said she did not have the courage to report it right away. She approached us on Thursday and we have registered a case against the accused," Kulkarni told AFP.
In her statement to the police, she had alleged that her drink was spiked following which she fell unconscious and eventually raped.
The police along with the victim reached the resort owned by a BJP MLA of Madhya Pradesh on Friday night and arrested his son Deepak Vishwakarma who admitted his involvement in the offence.
The police also said that the victim will undergo medical test to confirm rape on Saturday, after which the case will be transfered to their counterparts in Madhya Pradesh.
The incident came at a time when the country is faced with protests demanding enhanced laws to deal cases of sexual assault against women after the death of 23-year-old medical student who was gang raped in a moving bus on Dec.16. She died on Dec. 29 in a hospital in Singapore.
Nationwide protests were held seeking speedy justice to the gang rape victim, owing to which the Union Cabinet on Friday cleared an ordinance to promulgate strict anti-rape law. The ordinance include death penalty for accused if the victim dies or is left in vegetative state.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Australian Woman Charged for Adultery in Lebanon for Visiting Boyfriend
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- Humans at Their Worst: MH17 Victims' Credit Cards Used in Ukraine, Phones 'Answered' by Strangers
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports