South Korean Tourist Drugged and Raped In Resort; MLA's Son Arrested
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 2, 2013 11:10 PM EST
A South Korean tourist was drugged and raped by the son of a resort owner on Jan 14 . The accused, who is also the manager of the resport, has confessed that he had sexually assaulted the girl.
The victim, a 23-year-old student, had come to India on her own on a tourist VISA and was staying in a resort in Madhya Pradesh's Bandhavgarh tiger reserve when the incident occurred.
Inspector Prakash Kulkarni said that the victim had registered a complaint in Aurangabad, Maharashtra two weeks after the incident claiming that she could not get over the shock and was hesitant in lodging the compliant.
"The incident happened last month but she said she did not have the courage to report it right away. She approached us on Thursday and we have registered a case against the accused," Kulkarni told AFP.
In her statement to the police, she had alleged that her drink was spiked following which she fell unconscious and eventually raped.
The police along with the victim reached the resort owned by a BJP MLA of Madhya Pradesh on Friday night and arrested his son Deepak Vishwakarma who admitted his involvement in the offence.
The police also said that the victim will undergo medical test to confirm rape on Saturday, after which the case will be transfered to their counterparts in Madhya Pradesh.
The incident came at a time when the country is faced with protests demanding enhanced laws to deal cases of sexual assault against women after the death of 23-year-old medical student who was gang raped in a moving bus on Dec.16. She died on Dec. 29 in a hospital in Singapore.
Nationwide protests were held seeking speedy justice to the gang rape victim, owing to which the Union Cabinet on Friday cleared an ordinance to promulgate strict anti-rape law. The ordinance include death penalty for accused if the victim dies or is left in vegetative state.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers