Hospital Where Robot Kills Bugs
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | February 2, 2013 9:12 PM EST
Given that hospitals across the country look for reliable means to protect vulnerable patients from catching harmful bugs, the Vancouver General Hospital has rather an eccentric way. They have a robot named "Trudi" which uses ultraviolet light to kill germs around the room.
It is a germ-killing machine originally called The Total Room Ultraviolet Disinfector (TRU-D) that was later referred to as 'Trudi' by staffs of the Hospital. The five feet five inches ultraviolet robot has an ability to say things such as, "Disinfecting will commence in 15 seconds; please leave the room", and moments later, "Disinfecting process started" while it radiates huge amount of light killing germs and bugs lurking around.
The machine uses specific doses of ultraviolet (UV) light to kill deadly viruses and germs such as norovirus, influenza, C. Difficile and Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), according to a report by CTV News.
After hospital wards are traditionally cleaned, the germ-killing robot is remotely switched on to kill unseen germs. When it is switched on remotely, the machine can automatically analyze the shapes and size of the room and eliminates targets from every nook and cranny.
The robot was recently brought at Vancouver General Hospital from Tennessee as part of a project aimed at testing mobile Roberts used for disinfection. The cost of the machine is said to be US $124,500.
Vancouver General Hospital also has another disinfectant machine called PulseRx. Unlike Trudi, this machine cannot analyze the size and shape of the room. If either of them are found to be an effective tool in eliminating the bugs, the hospital will find ways to use them permanently.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan