Agent: Arsenal and Spurs Battled for French Midfielder
By Vishnuprasad S | February 2, 2013 7:54 PM EST
Toulouse midfielder Etienne Capoue's agent has now revealed a host of Premier League clubs, including Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur, were keen on signing his client during the January transfer window.
The 24-year-old has impressed scouts after delivering consistent performances in Ligue 1 over the past year. The player's representative, Mino Raiola, claims there was genuine interest in the France international last month but Toulouse chairman Olivier Sadran was unwilling to part with his prized asset.
"At lot of English clubs wanted to hire him, most notably Arsenal, Tottenham and Fulham. Paris Saint-Germain wanted him too, but that may be for the summer. We will see what happens in the future. I know Toulouse chairman Sadran was not keen to sell during the winter window. The fee demanded was a barrier on each occasion, but we held some polite talks," Sky Sports quoted Raiola as saying.
Incidentally, Raiola is also the agent for Italy international Mario Balotelli, among others. The 22-year-old Manchester City foward transferred to Serie A outfit AC Milan last month for a reported £19m.
Meanwhile, Capoue, who mainly operates as the anchorman, has made 20 Ligue 1 appearances so far this season. He has scord four goals and recorded two assists. The player has more than two years left on his Toulouse contract and has been a long-time target for Arsenal.
Monreal: Arsenal's Style Suits Me
Arsenal's new signing Nacho Monreal has stated the north London side's style of play was a major factor behind his decision to join them. The 26-year-old left-back signed a long-term deal with the Gunners, after arriving from Malaga on deadline day for a fee around £8.5m.
"Arsenal like to keep the ball, which is beneficial for me and I like this part of the team's game. I love playing with the ball at my feet, short, sharp touches, and good movement," Monreal told the club Web site.
"I think Arsenal do have certain elements of Spanish football philosophy. The Spanish people know that there are players of great quality in this team and I hope we can play good football," the Spain international added.
With Kieran Gibbs sidelined, Monreal could make his debut, when Arsenal host Stoke City in the Premier League later today.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced