Agent: Arsenal and Spurs Battled for French Midfielder
By Vishnuprasad S | February 2, 2013 7:54 PM EST
Toulouse midfielder Etienne Capoue's agent has now revealed a host of Premier League clubs, including Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur, were keen on signing his client during the January transfer window.
The 24-year-old has impressed scouts after delivering consistent performances in Ligue 1 over the past year. The player's representative, Mino Raiola, claims there was genuine interest in the France international last month but Toulouse chairman Olivier Sadran was unwilling to part with his prized asset.
"At lot of English clubs wanted to hire him, most notably Arsenal, Tottenham and Fulham. Paris Saint-Germain wanted him too, but that may be for the summer. We will see what happens in the future. I know Toulouse chairman Sadran was not keen to sell during the winter window. The fee demanded was a barrier on each occasion, but we held some polite talks," Sky Sports quoted Raiola as saying.
Incidentally, Raiola is also the agent for Italy international Mario Balotelli, among others. The 22-year-old Manchester City foward transferred to Serie A outfit AC Milan last month for a reported £19m.
Meanwhile, Capoue, who mainly operates as the anchorman, has made 20 Ligue 1 appearances so far this season. He has scord four goals and recorded two assists. The player has more than two years left on his Toulouse contract and has been a long-time target for Arsenal.
Monreal: Arsenal's Style Suits Me
Arsenal's new signing Nacho Monreal has stated the north London side's style of play was a major factor behind his decision to join them. The 26-year-old left-back signed a long-term deal with the Gunners, after arriving from Malaga on deadline day for a fee around £8.5m.
"Arsenal like to keep the ball, which is beneficial for me and I like this part of the team's game. I love playing with the ball at my feet, short, sharp touches, and good movement," Monreal told the club Web site.
"I think Arsenal do have certain elements of Spanish football philosophy. The Spanish people know that there are players of great quality in this team and I hope we can play good football," the Spain international added.
With Kieran Gibbs sidelined, Monreal could make his debut, when Arsenal host Stoke City in the Premier League later today.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More