Agent: Arsenal and Spurs Battled for French Midfielder
By Vishnuprasad S | February 2, 2013 7:54 PM EST
Toulouse midfielder Etienne Capoue's agent has now revealed a host of Premier League clubs, including Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur, were keen on signing his client during the January transfer window.
The 24-year-old has impressed scouts after delivering consistent performances in Ligue 1 over the past year. The player's representative, Mino Raiola, claims there was genuine interest in the France international last month but Toulouse chairman Olivier Sadran was unwilling to part with his prized asset.
"At lot of English clubs wanted to hire him, most notably Arsenal, Tottenham and Fulham. Paris Saint-Germain wanted him too, but that may be for the summer. We will see what happens in the future. I know Toulouse chairman Sadran was not keen to sell during the winter window. The fee demanded was a barrier on each occasion, but we held some polite talks," Sky Sports quoted Raiola as saying.
Incidentally, Raiola is also the agent for Italy international Mario Balotelli, among others. The 22-year-old Manchester City foward transferred to Serie A outfit AC Milan last month for a reported £19m.
Meanwhile, Capoue, who mainly operates as the anchorman, has made 20 Ligue 1 appearances so far this season. He has scord four goals and recorded two assists. The player has more than two years left on his Toulouse contract and has been a long-time target for Arsenal.
Monreal: Arsenal's Style Suits Me
Arsenal's new signing Nacho Monreal has stated the north London side's style of play was a major factor behind his decision to join them. The 26-year-old left-back signed a long-term deal with the Gunners, after arriving from Malaga on deadline day for a fee around £8.5m.
"Arsenal like to keep the ball, which is beneficial for me and I like this part of the team's game. I love playing with the ball at my feet, short, sharp touches, and good movement," Monreal told the club Web site.
"I think Arsenal do have certain elements of Spanish football philosophy. The Spanish people know that there are players of great quality in this team and I hope we can play good football," the Spain international added.
With Kieran Gibbs sidelined, Monreal could make his debut, when Arsenal host Stoke City in the Premier League later today.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight