Agent: Arsenal and Spurs Battled for French Midfielder
By Vishnuprasad S | February 2, 2013 7:54 PM EST
Toulouse midfielder Etienne Capoue's agent has now revealed a host of Premier League clubs, including Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur, were keen on signing his client during the January transfer window.
The 24-year-old has impressed scouts after delivering consistent performances in Ligue 1 over the past year. The player's representative, Mino Raiola, claims there was genuine interest in the France international last month but Toulouse chairman Olivier Sadran was unwilling to part with his prized asset.
"At lot of English clubs wanted to hire him, most notably Arsenal, Tottenham and Fulham. Paris Saint-Germain wanted him too, but that may be for the summer. We will see what happens in the future. I know Toulouse chairman Sadran was not keen to sell during the winter window. The fee demanded was a barrier on each occasion, but we held some polite talks," Sky Sports quoted Raiola as saying.
Incidentally, Raiola is also the agent for Italy international Mario Balotelli, among others. The 22-year-old Manchester City foward transferred to Serie A outfit AC Milan last month for a reported £19m.
Meanwhile, Capoue, who mainly operates as the anchorman, has made 20 Ligue 1 appearances so far this season. He has scord four goals and recorded two assists. The player has more than two years left on his Toulouse contract and has been a long-time target for Arsenal.
Monreal: Arsenal's Style Suits Me
Arsenal's new signing Nacho Monreal has stated the north London side's style of play was a major factor behind his decision to join them. The 26-year-old left-back signed a long-term deal with the Gunners, after arriving from Malaga on deadline day for a fee around £8.5m.
"Arsenal like to keep the ball, which is beneficial for me and I like this part of the team's game. I love playing with the ball at my feet, short, sharp touches, and good movement," Monreal told the club Web site.
"I think Arsenal do have certain elements of Spanish football philosophy. The Spanish people know that there are players of great quality in this team and I hope we can play good football," the Spain international added.
With Kieran Gibbs sidelined, Monreal could make his debut, when Arsenal host Stoke City in the Premier League later today.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans