Agent: Arsenal and Spurs Battled for French Midfielder
By Vishnuprasad S | February 2, 2013 7:54 PM EST
Toulouse midfielder Etienne Capoue's agent has now revealed a host of Premier League clubs, including Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur, were keen on signing his client during the January transfer window.
The 24-year-old has impressed scouts after delivering consistent performances in Ligue 1 over the past year. The player's representative, Mino Raiola, claims there was genuine interest in the France international last month but Toulouse chairman Olivier Sadran was unwilling to part with his prized asset.
"At lot of English clubs wanted to hire him, most notably Arsenal, Tottenham and Fulham. Paris Saint-Germain wanted him too, but that may be for the summer. We will see what happens in the future. I know Toulouse chairman Sadran was not keen to sell during the winter window. The fee demanded was a barrier on each occasion, but we held some polite talks," Sky Sports quoted Raiola as saying.
Incidentally, Raiola is also the agent for Italy international Mario Balotelli, among others. The 22-year-old Manchester City foward transferred to Serie A outfit AC Milan last month for a reported £19m.
Meanwhile, Capoue, who mainly operates as the anchorman, has made 20 Ligue 1 appearances so far this season. He has scord four goals and recorded two assists. The player has more than two years left on his Toulouse contract and has been a long-time target for Arsenal.
Monreal: Arsenal's Style Suits Me
Arsenal's new signing Nacho Monreal has stated the north London side's style of play was a major factor behind his decision to join them. The 26-year-old left-back signed a long-term deal with the Gunners, after arriving from Malaga on deadline day for a fee around £8.5m.
"Arsenal like to keep the ball, which is beneficial for me and I like this part of the team's game. I love playing with the ball at my feet, short, sharp touches, and good movement," Monreal told the club Web site.
"I think Arsenal do have certain elements of Spanish football philosophy. The Spanish people know that there are players of great quality in this team and I hope we can play good football," the Spain international added.
With Kieran Gibbs sidelined, Monreal could make his debut, when Arsenal host Stoke City in the Premier League later today.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch