Twitter Hacked; 250,000 User Accounts Compromised
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 2, 2013 5:26 PM EST
The micro-blogging site also said that the anonymous hackers may have accessed the usernames, email addresses and encrypted passwords in the latest security breach.
The blog posted by the Twitter information security director Bob Lord added that the recent attack has been investigated thoroughly.
"This attack was not the work of amateurs, and we do not believe it was an isolated incident," Lord wrote. "The attackers were extremely sophisticated, and we believe other companies and organizations have also been recently similarly attacked."
"For that reason we felt that it was important to publicize this attack while we still gather information, and we are helping government and federal law enforcement in their effort to find and prosecute these attackers to make the Internet safer for all users," he continued.
The company did not make it clear how the hackers got access to the encrypted passwords but it is said to have reset the passwords which have been attacked.
The users have been notified about the security breach through emails. It is also reported that Twitter has asked the users to change their passwords in order to prevent any kind of malice. The users have been reportedly requested to create strong passwords and "avoid using websites or services that promise to get you lots of followers."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies