Twitter Hacked; 250,000 User Accounts Compromised
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 2, 2013 5:26 PM EST
The micro-blogging site also said that the anonymous hackers may have accessed the usernames, email addresses and encrypted passwords in the latest security breach.
The blog posted by the Twitter information security director Bob Lord added that the recent attack has been investigated thoroughly.
"This attack was not the work of amateurs, and we do not believe it was an isolated incident," Lord wrote. "The attackers were extremely sophisticated, and we believe other companies and organizations have also been recently similarly attacked."
"For that reason we felt that it was important to publicize this attack while we still gather information, and we are helping government and federal law enforcement in their effort to find and prosecute these attackers to make the Internet safer for all users," he continued.
The company did not make it clear how the hackers got access to the encrypted passwords but it is said to have reset the passwords which have been attacked.
The users have been notified about the security breach through emails. It is also reported that Twitter has asked the users to change their passwords in order to prevent any kind of malice. The users have been reportedly requested to create strong passwords and "avoid using websites or services that promise to get you lots of followers."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- The Pirate Bay Termed As Assault On Humanity By RIAA
- ISIS Parades 30 Sunni Tribesmen Before Shooting Them Dead In Iraqi Town
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight