Twitter Hacked; 250,000 User Accounts Compromised
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 2, 2013 5:26 PM EST
The micro-blogging site also said that the anonymous hackers may have accessed the usernames, email addresses and encrypted passwords in the latest security breach.
The blog posted by the Twitter information security director Bob Lord added that the recent attack has been investigated thoroughly.
"This attack was not the work of amateurs, and we do not believe it was an isolated incident," Lord wrote. "The attackers were extremely sophisticated, and we believe other companies and organizations have also been recently similarly attacked."
"For that reason we felt that it was important to publicize this attack while we still gather information, and we are helping government and federal law enforcement in their effort to find and prosecute these attackers to make the Internet safer for all users," he continued.
The company did not make it clear how the hackers got access to the encrypted passwords but it is said to have reset the passwords which have been attacked.
The users have been notified about the security breach through emails. It is also reported that Twitter has asked the users to change their passwords in order to prevent any kind of malice. The users have been reportedly requested to create strong passwords and "avoid using websites or services that promise to get you lots of followers."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899