Twitter Hacked; 250,000 User Accounts Compromised
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 2, 2013 5:26 PM EST
The micro-blogging site also said that the anonymous hackers may have accessed the usernames, email addresses and encrypted passwords in the latest security breach.
The blog posted by the Twitter information security director Bob Lord added that the recent attack has been investigated thoroughly.
"This attack was not the work of amateurs, and we do not believe it was an isolated incident," Lord wrote. "The attackers were extremely sophisticated, and we believe other companies and organizations have also been recently similarly attacked."
"For that reason we felt that it was important to publicize this attack while we still gather information, and we are helping government and federal law enforcement in their effort to find and prosecute these attackers to make the Internet safer for all users," he continued.
The company did not make it clear how the hackers got access to the encrypted passwords but it is said to have reset the passwords which have been attacked.
The users have been notified about the security breach through emails. It is also reported that Twitter has asked the users to change their passwords in order to prevent any kind of malice. The users have been reportedly requested to create strong passwords and "avoid using websites or services that promise to get you lots of followers."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Australia's Direct Action Policy To Increase Projected Emmisions By 2020 -- UN Report
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More