Canada November GDP Up 0.3 Percent, Better Than Expected
February 2, 2013 4:28 PM EST
Canada's economy grew faster than expected in November, rising 0.3 percent after a tepid 0.1 percent rise in October and no gain in September, Statistics Canada said on Thursday.
The median forecast in a Reuters survey of economists was for a 0.2 percent rise, though eight of the 21 analysts surveyed predicted an increase of at least 0.3 percent. Taken to the second decimal place, the rise was 0.28 percent. The data was adjusted for seasonal factors such as Christmas shopping.
In the details for the month, Statscan said: "Most major industrial sectors increased production in November."
Manufacturing was up 0.7 percent after a 0.9 percent decline in October. Oil and gas extraction grew 0.8 percent, with crude rising and natural gas declining.
The number improves the outlook for the fourth quarter, which economists had repeatedly downgraded after a relatively strong first half of 2012. The Bank of Canada this month predicted annualized fourth quarter growth of 1.0 percent.
"It is suggesting some strength as we go through the fourth quarter," said Paul Ferley at Royal Bank of Canada.
Still, due to the weak start in October, the quarter would still be sub-potential at roughly 1 percent, he said.
"This data argues in favor of the Bank (of Canada) remaining on the sidelines," he said, pointing to a weak picture for inflation and jobs.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop