Air Canada To Boost Capacity In Western Canada As Rival Gears Up
February 2, 2013 4:23 PM EST
Air Canada will boost capacity in Western Canada this spring and summer, the airline said on Friday, introducing new, larger aircraft and more flights as its biggest domestic rival launches a short-haul airline.
Air Canada, the country's biggest airline, will replace its 50-seat Bombardier Inc CRJ100/200ER aircraft on Western Canadian routes with new Bombardier 74-seater Q400 Next Generation aircraft. That is the same plane that competitor WestJet Airlines Ltd will use for its new regional carrier Encore.
Encore will be launched in the second half of this year, connecting smaller communities that have often only been served by Air Canada. WestJet has not yet revealed its initial routes and schedules for Encore but has had a strong presence in Western Canada, where it is headquartered.
Air Canada is boosting capacity to meet "strong demand" in Western Canada, Marcel Forget, vice president of network planning, said in a statement.
More Q400 aircraft will be rolled out on additional routes in British Columbia, Alberta and the Northwest Territories in the coming months, he said.
Seat capacity on some routes will double this spring.
Competition in Canadian skies will further heat up this year as Air Canada also plans to launch a low-cost carrier, Rouge, to fly to Europe and the Caribbean.
Air Canada said on Thursday it was recruiting the first 150 flight attendants for Rouge.
Rouge will begin with older planes from Air Canada's mainline operations, as new, replacement aircraft, including 37 Boeing 787 Dreamliners, are received.
The delivery schedule has been put in question, given the worldwide grounding of the new, high-tech jetliner over battery problems.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- United Airlines Flight Diverted as Passengers Fought Over Anti-Seat Reclining Device
- ISIS Posts Threats On Twitter, Works Around California Earthquake Hashtags, Pressures US To Respond To #StevensHeadinObamasHands
- Iceland Volcano: Bardarbunga Stricken by 5.7 Magnitude Earthquake But Still No Eruption, Magma Could be Going Elsewhere
- Canadian Bank Thanks Its Customers Through Surprise Gifts In ATM [VIDEO]
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements