Air Canada To Boost Capacity In Western Canada As Rival Gears Up
February 2, 2013 4:23 PM EST
Air Canada will boost capacity in Western Canada this spring and summer, the airline said on Friday, introducing new, larger aircraft and more flights as its biggest domestic rival launches a short-haul airline.
Air Canada, the country's biggest airline, will replace its 50-seat Bombardier Inc CRJ100/200ER aircraft on Western Canadian routes with new Bombardier 74-seater Q400 Next Generation aircraft. That is the same plane that competitor WestJet Airlines Ltd will use for its new regional carrier Encore.
Encore will be launched in the second half of this year, connecting smaller communities that have often only been served by Air Canada. WestJet has not yet revealed its initial routes and schedules for Encore but has had a strong presence in Western Canada, where it is headquartered.
Air Canada is boosting capacity to meet "strong demand" in Western Canada, Marcel Forget, vice president of network planning, said in a statement.
More Q400 aircraft will be rolled out on additional routes in British Columbia, Alberta and the Northwest Territories in the coming months, he said.
Seat capacity on some routes will double this spring.
Competition in Canadian skies will further heat up this year as Air Canada also plans to launch a low-cost carrier, Rouge, to fly to Europe and the Caribbean.
Air Canada said on Thursday it was recruiting the first 150 flight attendants for Rouge.
Rouge will begin with older planes from Air Canada's mainline operations, as new, replacement aircraft, including 37 Boeing 787 Dreamliners, are received.
The delivery schedule has been put in question, given the worldwide grounding of the new, high-tech jetliner over battery problems.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- Australia To Lose Hundreds Of Billions Worth Of Infrastructure Due To Rising Sea Levels
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone
- iPhone 6 Plus Phablet Features Only 1 GB RAM