Competitive Eating Champ 'El Wingador' Indicted On Cocaine-Distribution Charges
By Eric Brown | February 2, 2013 12:40 PM EST
Competitive-eating champ William “El Wingador” Simmons was indicted on multiple cocaine-related charges this week.
The indictment of Simmons, who is a five-time Wing Bowl champion, was unsealed on Thursday. It comes in the wake of an arrest involving cocaine made in June, the South Jersey Times reported.
Philly.com cited the Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office as saying the 51-year-old resident of Woodbury Heights, N.J., was indicted on four counts of possession of a controlled dangerous substance and one count of manufacturing or distributing of more than five ounces of cocaine.
“I know I'm not a bad person,” Simmons said in a statement in June, “just a big dummy, and I'm asking not to be judged by this one thing.”
Simmons is currently free on $100,000 bail.
Police told the Associated Press in June that they recovered about $8,000 worth of cocaine and $4,000 in cash when they stopped Simmons in June. The eating champ was driving a Kia Soul emblazoned with the name “El Wingador.” After searching Simmons’ house, authorities found even more cash, cocaine, and other evidence.
Simmons’ last stand as an eating champ came during 2005’s Philadelphia Wing Bowl, where he devoured 162 chicken wings in a single sitting. How long did it take Simmons to consume all those wings? A grand total of 32 minutes, the Daily Mail reported.
The Wing Bowl, entering its 21st year in 2013, began as a small competition to amuse Philadelphia sports fans before the Super Bowl. It now brings in thousands of spectators. The competition is organized by Philadelphia's Sportsradio 94WIP.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy