Competitive Eating Champ 'El Wingador' Indicted On Cocaine-Distribution Charges
By Eric Brown | February 2, 2013 12:40 PM EST
Competitive-eating champ William “El Wingador” Simmons was indicted on multiple cocaine-related charges this week.
The indictment of Simmons, who is a five-time Wing Bowl champion, was unsealed on Thursday. It comes in the wake of an arrest involving cocaine made in June, the South Jersey Times reported.
Philly.com cited the Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office as saying the 51-year-old resident of Woodbury Heights, N.J., was indicted on four counts of possession of a controlled dangerous substance and one count of manufacturing or distributing of more than five ounces of cocaine.
“I know I'm not a bad person,” Simmons said in a statement in June, “just a big dummy, and I'm asking not to be judged by this one thing.”
Simmons is currently free on $100,000 bail.
Police told the Associated Press in June that they recovered about $8,000 worth of cocaine and $4,000 in cash when they stopped Simmons in June. The eating champ was driving a Kia Soul emblazoned with the name “El Wingador.” After searching Simmons’ house, authorities found even more cash, cocaine, and other evidence.
Simmons’ last stand as an eating champ came during 2005’s Philadelphia Wing Bowl, where he devoured 162 chicken wings in a single sitting. How long did it take Simmons to consume all those wings? A grand total of 32 minutes, the Daily Mail reported.
The Wing Bowl, entering its 21st year in 2013, began as a small competition to amuse Philadelphia sports fans before the Super Bowl. It now brings in thousands of spectators. The competition is organized by Philadelphia's Sportsradio 94WIP.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko