Super Bowl 2013: Hangover Cures And Sick Day Excuses For After The Big Game
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 2, 2013 10:36 AM EST
As the NFL's Super Bowl on Sunday draws closer, viewers may be focused on the little things like planning where to watch or, you know, which team is going to win, a preoccupation of sites such as BleacherReport.com.
But what fans should really be thinking about is how to combat the dreaded postgame hangover.
Here are seven surefire ways to lessen your misery.
1. As any responsible drinker will tell you, water is one of the most reliable -- and readily available -- ways to relieve your hangover. To avoid getting dehydrated after a long day of drinking, attempt to guzzle down 16 to 20 ounces of H2O before you doze off. And don’t stop there: The next time you hit the bar, ask for a glass of water each time you order another beer. Alternating between water and alcohol will help replenish your fluids and reduce the risk of reliving your agony the next morning.
2. Although there are tons of hangover products on the market, few have been around as long as Alka-Seltzer. And the 82-year-old fizzy tablets have been used as makeshift hangover cures for almost all that time. They contain baking soda, which will help settle your stomach by neutralizing stomach acid.
3. In addition to the tried-and-true water trick, sports drinks such as Powerade, Gatorade, and even Coconut Water can also help speed up the recovery process by replacing lost electrolytes and sugars.
4. For those suffering from either cramping or headaches, pain relievers can offer a quick fix. According to Men’s Health, acceptable pain relievers include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory formulas such as aspirin and ibuprofen. However, hangover sufferers should stay away from acetaminophen -- the active drug in Tylenol -- which targets your already overworked liver. "While [acetaminophen is] OK for a headache, when combined with a liver that's working overtime to metabolize alcohol, it can cause liver damage or be deadly," Dena Davidson, a former associate professor of psychiatry at the Indiana University School of Medicine, told the publication.
5. When it comes down to it, that queasy feeling is best combated with good old-fashioned sleep. Most hangovers have lifespans of only between eight and 24 hours, anyway, which will fly by faster with a healthy dose of ZZZ’s.
7. When all else fails, a convincing doctor’s note will almost always do the trick. Alibi Network has a wide selection of printable doctor’s notes for every occasion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones