James Franco Adding Gucci Documentary To His Busy Schedule
By Justine Ashley | February 2, 2013 10:03 AM EST
The currently high U.S. unemployment rate may be a result of James Franco taking all the jobs.
The busiest man in Hollywood is set to take on yet another project. Franco is slated to produce a documentary on the fashion brand House of Gucci, which will focus on the company’s creative director, Frida Giannini, according to Variety.
Christina Voros will serve as the film’s director. Franco has worked with Voros on several films, including the documentary “kink” and the biopic “The Broken Tower.”
The Oscar-nominated actor has a long relationship with Gucci that goes back to 2008, when he became a spokesmodel for the brand.
In November, Franco directed two music videos based on songs on R.E.M.’s final album “Collapse Into Now.” Last year, he also appeared in “Spring Breakers” and “The Iceman,” which recently played the festival circuit and are set to make their debuts this year.
The actor has more than eight films in the pipeline for this year, including the action thriller “Homefront” and the Paul Haggis-directed romance “The Third Person.”
Franco also serves as the director and star of the forthcoming “As I Lay Dying” and “Child of God.”
The 34-year-old pulled triple duty at the Sundance Film Festival last month. “Lovelace,” featuring the actor as Hugh Hefner, screened at the annual event, as did “Interior. Leather Bar.,” which he co-directed with Travis Mathews. “Kink” also made its debut at the film fest in Park City, Utah.
Next month, Franco will appear as the title character in “Oz the Great and Powerful,” a prequel to “The Wizard of Oz” starring Michelle Williams and Mila Kunis.
Famous for being an overachiever, he is currently pursuing a doctorate at Yale University, while serving as a faculty member at the University of Southern California.
In a 2010 interview with New York magazine, Franco explained his reason for taking on multiple projects.
“Why not do as many things I love as I can? As long as the work is good,” he said.
“Good” wasn’t a word many used to describe the poem he released during U.S. President Barack Obama’s second inauguration last month, as reported by the New York Daily News.
Titled “Obama in Ashville,” the poem focuses on the first time he met the president -- prompting Jezebel’s Madeleine Davis to conclude “Handsome James Franco’s Inauguration Poem Is All About Handsome James Franco.”
Hopefully, Franco's forthcoming book of poetry, “Directing Herbert White,” will fare better.
‘Oz the Great and Powerful’ hits theaters March 8.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]