BofA website troubles causes by internal systems issue: source
February 2, 2013 9:49 AM EST
Some Bank of America Corp customers weren't able to access their online banking accounts on Friday because of an internal systems issue, a person familiar with the matter said.
The second-largest U.S. bank by assets is working to address the problem, said the person, who wasn't authorized to speak on the record. The disruption was not caused by hacker attacks, the person said.
Since last fall, U.S. bank websites have faced a blitz of "denial of service" attacks in which hacker activists disrupt operations by flooding them with information.
The Charlotte, North Carolina-based bank in October 2011 blamed nearly a week of access problems on heavy traffic and an ongoing systems upgrade. Bank of America says it has 30 million active online banking customers.
(Reporting by Rick Rothacker in Charlotte, N.C.; Editing by Eric Walsh)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid