Pitchfork Music Festival 2013 Announces R. Kelly, Bjork And Belle & Sebastian As Headliners [PLAYLIST]
By Charles Poladian | February 2, 2013 6:07 AM EST
Pitchfork Music Festival 2013 is the indie alternative to major festivals like Bonnaroo, Coachella and Lollapalooza that features plenty of great acts but on a smaller scale. The Internet music publication just announced that R. Kelly, Bjork and Belle & Sebastian will be the headliners as well as ticket information.
Pitchfork prides itself on diversity and if the headliners are any indication, the 2013 iteration of the festival will be its most diverse yet. Pitchfork Music Festival will once again take place at Union Park in Chicago, Illinois on July 19 – July 21. In a quick announcement on Friday, Pitchfork announced R. Kelly, Bjork and Belle & Sebastian will headline its eighth annual festival.
Initially, the Pitchfork Music Festival stuck close to its indie aesthetics with acts such as The National, Yo La Tengo, The Walkmen, Grizzly Bear, Bon Iver, Vampire Weekend, Beach House, Dirty Projectors, M83 and The Antlers but the festival has continued to expand and diversify its lineup. Previous lineups have included a “Don’t Look Back” night where Sonic Youth, Slint and GZA performed one of their classic albums in its entirety.
Last year’s lineup was even bigger and featured not only the best upcoming indie acts but plenty of emerging hip-hop artists. Kendrick Lamar, A$AP Rocky, Wills Earl Beal, AraabMuzik and Danny Brown played alongside Feist, Beach House, Vampire Weekend, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Grimes, Chromatics, Ty Segall, Wild Flag, Real Estate and Youth Lagoon at Pitchfork Music Festival 2012 and the festival sold out well advance of the festival.
R. Kelly has been a R&B pioneer and Grammy winner with has several number one hits including “I Believe I Can Fly,” “Bump n’ Grind” and “Ignition (Remix)” as well as the “Trapped in the Closet” project. Bjork continues to defy any classifications and is an interesting and ever evolving musical talent while Belle & Sebastian have just recently reunited and were one of the best 1990’s indie rock bands.
Tickets are now on sale and three-day passes cost $120 while single day passes are also available at $50. Expect Pitchfork to announce the lineup of artists as well as other activities, such as craft food vendors and curated art installations.
A playlist to get you in the mood for Pitchfork Music Festival 2013 is below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Spoilers: Curly Hair Bachelorette’s Exit In Episode 16, Blake Talks About Laurina And Why He Rubbed His Eye
- 'Dancing With The Stars' (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Week 2 Spoilers: Things To Expect; Find Out Which Choreographer Is Quitting
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2