Pitchfork Music Festival 2013 Announces R. Kelly, Bjork And Belle & Sebastian As Headliners [PLAYLIST]
By Charles Poladian | February 2, 2013 6:07 AM EST
Pitchfork Music Festival 2013 is the indie alternative to major festivals like Bonnaroo, Coachella and Lollapalooza that features plenty of great acts but on a smaller scale. The Internet music publication just announced that R. Kelly, Bjork and Belle & Sebastian will be the headliners as well as ticket information.
Pitchfork prides itself on diversity and if the headliners are any indication, the 2013 iteration of the festival will be its most diverse yet. Pitchfork Music Festival will once again take place at Union Park in Chicago, Illinois on July 19 – July 21. In a quick announcement on Friday, Pitchfork announced R. Kelly, Bjork and Belle & Sebastian will headline its eighth annual festival.
Initially, the Pitchfork Music Festival stuck close to its indie aesthetics with acts such as The National, Yo La Tengo, The Walkmen, Grizzly Bear, Bon Iver, Vampire Weekend, Beach House, Dirty Projectors, M83 and The Antlers but the festival has continued to expand and diversify its lineup. Previous lineups have included a “Don’t Look Back” night where Sonic Youth, Slint and GZA performed one of their classic albums in its entirety.
Last year’s lineup was even bigger and featured not only the best upcoming indie acts but plenty of emerging hip-hop artists. Kendrick Lamar, A$AP Rocky, Wills Earl Beal, AraabMuzik and Danny Brown played alongside Feist, Beach House, Vampire Weekend, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Grimes, Chromatics, Ty Segall, Wild Flag, Real Estate and Youth Lagoon at Pitchfork Music Festival 2012 and the festival sold out well advance of the festival.
R. Kelly has been a R&B pioneer and Grammy winner with has several number one hits including “I Believe I Can Fly,” “Bump n’ Grind” and “Ignition (Remix)” as well as the “Trapped in the Closet” project. Bjork continues to defy any classifications and is an interesting and ever evolving musical talent while Belle & Sebastian have just recently reunited and were one of the best 1990’s indie rock bands.
Tickets are now on sale and three-day passes cost $120 while single day passes are also available at $50. Expect Pitchfork to announce the lineup of artists as well as other activities, such as craft food vendors and curated art installations.
A playlist to get you in the mood for Pitchfork Music Festival 2013 is below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- ‘The Leftovers’: Episode 10 On Hold, Renewed For Season 2, Season 1 Finale Synopsis And Preview [VIDEO]
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying