Super Bowl 2013: Watch 6 Of The Best Super Bowl Commercials Of All-Time
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 2, 2013 4:11 AM EST
It goes without saying that the NFL Super Bowl is often the most watched television program of the year. The game tends to have high Nielsen television ratings -- usually around a 40 rating and 60 share --which means that on average, 80 to 90 million people from the United States are tuned into America’s biggest game at any given moment.
Naturally, huge corporations as well as the host T.V. network take advantage of the mass audience by pulling out all the stops with their highly anticipated commercial ad campaigns. The spots, which range anywhere from 30 seconds to one minute, have become a staple in Super Bowl broadcasts and have pretty much taken on a life of their own.
From 1995’s Budweiser frog ad to 1984’s Apple Macintosh commercial, some of the best commercials of all time can be seen during the Super Bowl. Let’s take a look back at some notable commercials from Super Bowls past.
1.The Force: Volkswagen Commercial (Super Bowl XLV)
- While YouTube has become a one stop shop for music videos and commercials ads, one commercial for the Volkswagen Passat, which debuted during the Super Bowl 2011 surpassed 10 million hits on video sharing network. The ad featuring a child dressed as famous film character Darth Vader has been called the greatest Super Bowl ad of all- time.
2. Budweiser 9/11 Tribute (Super Bowl XLVI)
- Super Bowl XXXVI between the St. Louis Rams and the New England Patriots was played in February 2002, in the shadow of the September 11 attacks. Budweiser paid tribute to the events of that day with this iconic commercial featuring the company's famous Clydesdales going across the Brooklyn Bridge and kneeling to honor those lost on that day.
3. "The Showdown" - Bird vs. Jordan McDonald's ad (Super Bowl XXVII)
- On the heels of their well-documented NBA rivalry Michael Jordan and Larry Bird showcased their one-on-one competitiveness in a McDonald’s commercial during 1993’s Super Bowl XXVII. While the game between the Dallas Cowboys and the Buffalo Bills was another boring blowout, McDonald's scored big with commercial featuring two of the NBA’s biggest names at the times.
4. Apple Macintosh Commercial (Super Bowl XVIII)
- In anticipation of its Silicon Valley takeover, Apple rolled out a massive production for its 1984 Super Bowl XVIII commercial. The 1:12 ad campaign was directed by Hollywood filmmaker Ridley Scott and was in promotion of the Cupertino, California based companies Macintosh computer. The product promised a revolution as for as personal computing went.
5. "Bud" "Weis" "er" Commercial (Super Bowl XXIX)
- Who could forget the famous Budweiser commercial featuring the three frogs each sounding out a syllable of the brand name. The ad debuted during Super Bowl XXIX between the San Francisco 49ers and the San Diego Chargers. While the game itself was a blowout, Budweiser's frogs became stars in their own right as the ad became a commercial success.
6. Coca-Cola Classic ad: Mean Joe Green (Super Bowl XIII)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Wiggins-Rubio Era In Minneapolis Begins
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Dallas Mavericks 2015-2015 NBA Preview: Nowitzki, Ellis Has New Shooting Partner In Parsons
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks