Super Bowl 2013: Watch 6 Of The Best Super Bowl Commercials Of All-Time
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 2, 2013 4:11 AM EST
It goes without saying that the NFL Super Bowl is often the most watched television program of the year. The game tends to have high Nielsen television ratings -- usually around a 40 rating and 60 share --which means that on average, 80 to 90 million people from the United States are tuned into America’s biggest game at any given moment.
Naturally, huge corporations as well as the host T.V. network take advantage of the mass audience by pulling out all the stops with their highly anticipated commercial ad campaigns. The spots, which range anywhere from 30 seconds to one minute, have become a staple in Super Bowl broadcasts and have pretty much taken on a life of their own.
From 1995’s Budweiser frog ad to 1984’s Apple Macintosh commercial, some of the best commercials of all time can be seen during the Super Bowl. Let’s take a look back at some notable commercials from Super Bowls past.
1.The Force: Volkswagen Commercial (Super Bowl XLV)
- While YouTube has become a one stop shop for music videos and commercials ads, one commercial for the Volkswagen Passat, which debuted during the Super Bowl 2011 surpassed 10 million hits on video sharing network. The ad featuring a child dressed as famous film character Darth Vader has been called the greatest Super Bowl ad of all- time.
2. Budweiser 9/11 Tribute (Super Bowl XLVI)
- Super Bowl XXXVI between the St. Louis Rams and the New England Patriots was played in February 2002, in the shadow of the September 11 attacks. Budweiser paid tribute to the events of that day with this iconic commercial featuring the company's famous Clydesdales going across the Brooklyn Bridge and kneeling to honor those lost on that day.
3. "The Showdown" - Bird vs. Jordan McDonald's ad (Super Bowl XXVII)
- On the heels of their well-documented NBA rivalry Michael Jordan and Larry Bird showcased their one-on-one competitiveness in a McDonald’s commercial during 1993’s Super Bowl XXVII. While the game between the Dallas Cowboys and the Buffalo Bills was another boring blowout, McDonald's scored big with commercial featuring two of the NBA’s biggest names at the times.
4. Apple Macintosh Commercial (Super Bowl XVIII)
- In anticipation of its Silicon Valley takeover, Apple rolled out a massive production for its 1984 Super Bowl XVIII commercial. The 1:12 ad campaign was directed by Hollywood filmmaker Ridley Scott and was in promotion of the Cupertino, California based companies Macintosh computer. The product promised a revolution as for as personal computing went.
5. "Bud" "Weis" "er" Commercial (Super Bowl XXIX)
- Who could forget the famous Budweiser commercial featuring the three frogs each sounding out a syllable of the brand name. The ad debuted during Super Bowl XXIX between the San Francisco 49ers and the San Diego Chargers. While the game itself was a blowout, Budweiser's frogs became stars in their own right as the ad became a commercial success.
6. Coca-Cola Classic ad: Mean Joe Green (Super Bowl XIII)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown