The Bizarre Tale Of Michael Kevin McGeever, The Irish Property Tycoon Who Vanished
By Palash R. Ghosh | February 2, 2013 4:18 AM EST
Michael Kevin McGeever, the Irish real estate magnate who disappeared eight months ago, has been found walking down a country road near the town of Swanlinbar at the border between Counties Cavan and Leitrim in the northern part of the Republic of Ireland.
The Irish Times reported that he was discovered by a couple on Tuesday evening, strolling alone barefoot, with no money, carrying only a mobile phone and a torch. He seemed emaciated, disoriented and did not know what day it was or where in Ireland he was.
BBC noted that his hair was long and disheveled, and he sported a long beard and very long fingernails.
The man claimed he had been dropped off on the road by men driving a van. According to reports, McGeever alleged he had been held hostage for several months.
Martin Kenny, a local councilor at Leitrim who knows the couple that found McGeever, told BBC: “They went to the local garda [police] station and they got him tea and biscuits. He gobbled up the biscuits as he was ravenous so they got him some curry chips. They discovered he had been missing for the past eight months and that he was in fact an international high flyer. He was well spoken, intelligent and well educated."
BBC reported that he is now recovering in a hospital in Mullingar, County Westmeath, suffering from malnutrition and dehydration.
"He was covered in a plastic bag and wasn't wearing any shoes," Kenny told Irish media.
"Where he has been for the past months is anyone's guess, but it must be a great relief for his family. He was absolutely ravenous. He was extremely thin and not in great shape at all.”
McGeever, 68, was first reported missing last June in the city of Gort, in County Galway in southwestern Ireland.
Until police complete their interrogation of McGeever his disappearance and strange reappearance will be a mystery.
However, RTE, the Irish television broadcaster, reported that McGeever told police he was abducted from his home by a gang of masked men, but that he could not remember what happened to him afterwards.
"He told gardai he was abducted… from the garden of his home in Craughwell in County Galway. That is a mansion... He said the kidnappers had demanded a ransom for his safe release but he did not know whether a ransom had been paid," said RTE's crime correspondent Paul Reynolds.
Reynolds added that McGeever had strange markings –including the world ‘thief -- on his forehead that were likely carved by a knife.
The Daily Mail reported that McGeever claimed he was kidnapped and tortured by Russian mobsters, allegedly because he owed money to both the Russian mafia and the provision wing of the Irish Republican Army.
McGeever had made a fortune during Ireland’s real estate boom in the 1990s as head of KMM Commercial Properties. He owns a home valued at 3 million euros ($4.1 million), as well as a private helicopter, a fleet of luxury cars and limousines.
He also bought and sold luxury property for English and Irish customers in Dubai.
Police are continuing the investigation surrounding his bizarre saga.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales