Chinese Centenarian Awakes From Dead - Pleased by Turnout at her Funeral
By Hannah Osborne | February 2, 2013 3:40 AM EST
A 101-year-old Chinese woman woke up from the dead at her own funeral in the south-eastern Guangdong Province.
Peng Xiuhua, from the Shenshuidong Village, had been found dead by her two daughters, both in their 70s, at her home.
She had lived alone since her husband died 11 years ago. She had fallen ill ten days before she 'died'.
When her daughters came to visit, they noticed their mother was not breathing and had no pulse and Peng was declared dead.
She was taken to a funeral home and her daughters had bathed her and dressed her in a shroud.
However, 16 hours later, just before she was about to be put in her coffin, she sat up and said "there you are!".
Mourners could not believe she was alive until they realised she was just as cheerful as she had been before she died.
When she realised what had happened, Peng said she was extremely fortunate and was pleased with the turnout to her funeral.
She said: "I am a lucky woman. Not only did I get to see how many people care for me, but I also woke up before they took me to the crematorium."
After waking up from the dead, the mourners turned the funeral party into a celebration and held a feast for Peng and her longevity.
People coming back from the dead at their funerals is not unknown.
In June last year, a Brazilian boy woke up from the dead at his funeral and asked for a glass of water. Two-year-old Kelvin Santos died again shortly afterwards.
Another Chinese woman, Li Xiufeng, 95, was presumed dead in February last year and was put in a coffin for a few days before her funeral.
However, when a neighbour went to check on her she found the coffin empty. Li told villagers afterwards: "I slept for a long time. After waking up, I felt so hungry, and wanted to cook something to eat. I pushed the lid for a long time to climb out."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date