Chinese Centenarian Awakes From Dead - Pleased by Turnout at her Funeral
By Hannah Osborne | February 2, 2013 3:40 AM EST
A 101-year-old Chinese woman woke up from the dead at her own funeral in the south-eastern Guangdong Province.
Peng Xiuhua, from the Shenshuidong Village, had been found dead by her two daughters, both in their 70s, at her home.
She had lived alone since her husband died 11 years ago. She had fallen ill ten days before she 'died'.
When her daughters came to visit, they noticed their mother was not breathing and had no pulse and Peng was declared dead.
She was taken to a funeral home and her daughters had bathed her and dressed her in a shroud.
However, 16 hours later, just before she was about to be put in her coffin, she sat up and said "there you are!".
Mourners could not believe she was alive until they realised she was just as cheerful as she had been before she died.
When she realised what had happened, Peng said she was extremely fortunate and was pleased with the turnout to her funeral.
She said: "I am a lucky woman. Not only did I get to see how many people care for me, but I also woke up before they took me to the crematorium."
After waking up from the dead, the mourners turned the funeral party into a celebration and held a feast for Peng and her longevity.
People coming back from the dead at their funerals is not unknown.
In June last year, a Brazilian boy woke up from the dead at his funeral and asked for a glass of water. Two-year-old Kelvin Santos died again shortly afterwards.
Another Chinese woman, Li Xiufeng, 95, was presumed dead in February last year and was put in a coffin for a few days before her funeral.
However, when a neighbour went to check on her she found the coffin empty. Li told villagers afterwards: "I slept for a long time. After waking up, I felt so hungry, and wanted to cook something to eat. I pushed the lid for a long time to climb out."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales