Earnings Roundup: Two-Thirds Of US Companies That Have Reported Fourth-Quarter Results Have Beaten Wall Street Expectations
February 2, 2013 3:13 AM EST
Refining profits boosted the bottom line in the fourth quarter for Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM) and Chevron Corporation (NYSE:CVX), enabling the two biggest U.S. oil companies Friday to beat analyst expectations, while outside the energy sector, other big companies also topped expectations. So far, two-thirds of reporting companies have done better than expected.
S&P Capital IQ said that of the 233 companies that have reported fourth-quarter results as of Thursday, 154 have beaten analyst expectations.
Exxon said its oil and natural gas production fell 5.2 percent in the last three months of 2012 to a three-year low, but the Irving, Texas, company’s refining, chemical and marketing profit soared, climbing to $1.77 billion from $425 million in the year-earlier period.
Overall, Exxon booked a fourth-quarter profit of $9.95 billion, or $2.20 per share, a 6 percent increase from the $9.4 billion, or $1.97 per share, profit it booked in the previous year’s fourth quarter. Revenue fell 5.3 percent to $115.17 billion. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected the No. 1 U.S. energy company to earn $2 per share.
The No. 2 U.S. energy company, Chevron, said Friday its fourth-quarter profit climbed 41 percent to $7.2 billion, or $3.70 per share, compared with $5.1 billion, or $2.58 per share, in the year-earlier quarter. Excluding non-recurring items, the company booked $3.27 per share compared with analyst expectations of $3.03.
Revenue was down 3 percent to $56.3 billion.
Chevron’s downstream business benefited from a 46 percent profit margin increase as crude input costs fell and the San Ramon, Calif., company’s petroleum product selling prices rose.
Outside the energy sector, diversified manufacturer Ingersoll-Rand PLC (NYSE:IR)’s adjusted fourth-quarter income beat analyst expectations, as did those of pharmaceutical company Merck & Co., Inc. (NYSE:MRK).
Ingersoll-Rand’s results benefitted from stronger revenue in its security technologies and industrial technologies businesses. The maker of air-conditioning and heating systems, which is based in Dublin, Ireland, also benefitted from the gradually recovering U.S. residential housing market.
Merck’s sales and income fell but still beat analyst expectations as four drugs made by the Whitehouse Station, N.J., company – human papillomavirus vaccine Gardasil, diabetes drugs Janumet and Januvia and anti-inflammatory drug Remicade – helped offset weakness in the sales of other drugs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 US Open Round of 16: Grigor Dimitrov vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming and Preview
- 'The Bachelor' Update: Reasons Why Juan Pablo And Nikki Ferrell Are Not Splitting Up Anytime Soon; Couple To Launch Showbiz Career Together [Video]
- 7 New Video Games Set To Be Released On Sept. 2, 2014 Including ‘Warframe,’ 'Sims 4' And 'Dance Central Spotlight' [WATCH VIDEOS]
- A-List Celebrities, Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photo Leak: Similar Kind Of Privacy Breach Led To Prosecution Of Another Hacker In 2011
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. New Zealand Preview, Starting Lineups
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers