Tottenham Recall Striker as AVB Reveals Damiao Deal Was Close
By Adrian Back | February 2, 2013 3:09 AM EST
Tottenham have recalled Harry Kane from his loan spell at Norwich City after failing to seal a deadline day deal for Internacional striker Leandro Damiao.
Kane will now hope to fight for a place in the Tottenham first team after making just three appearances for Norwich which has not helped by breaking a metatarsal in the Capital One Cup tie against Doncaster.
The 19-year-old returned to Tottenham while undergoing rehabilitation on the injury but did return to Norwich just after Christmas and appeared for the club on December 29.
However, with Spurs failing to sign another striker during the January transfer window, they have decided to recall Kane so that he can provide cover for Jermain Defoe and Emmanuel Adebayor.
"Spurs have recalled Harry Kane from his loan with us," said Norwich manager Chris Hughton, as quoted on Eurosport. "He was unlucky with the injury. We would have liked to keep him, but wish him well."
Tottenham had been left short in attack in recent weeks as manager Andre Villas-Boas was forced to play Clint Dempsey as a makeshift forward after Defoe picked up an injury while Adebayor was still away at the Africa Cup of Nations.
Kane has made one appearance for Tottenham in the Premier League but has spent much of his time away on-loan. He has previously had spells at Leyton Orient and Millwall but will now be hoping he can make an impact back in north London.
Tottenham missed out on signing Damiao on deadline day but Villas-Boas admitted that the club must simply move on encouraged fans not to be disheartened.
"We have approached this market sensibly and said that if it was going to go out of proportion (fees and wages), we would step out of it," Villas-Boas told ESPN. "We told you he [Damiao] was a player we chased, but we couldn't agree on the full conditions, so we have moved on.
"The fans' concerns for this situation are due by opinion making and expectation. It is a rollercoaster for them. If this window was not open and you are sitting in fourth position, you are pretty comfortable, but we are where we stand. We sounded the market for different possibilities as we have found comfort in a 4-4-2 formation and we only have two strikers, but it didn't happen."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers