Tottenham Recall Striker as AVB Reveals Damiao Deal Was Close
By Adrian Back | February 2, 2013 3:09 AM EST
Tottenham have recalled Harry Kane from his loan spell at Norwich City after failing to seal a deadline day deal for Internacional striker Leandro Damiao.
Kane will now hope to fight for a place in the Tottenham first team after making just three appearances for Norwich which has not helped by breaking a metatarsal in the Capital One Cup tie against Doncaster.
The 19-year-old returned to Tottenham while undergoing rehabilitation on the injury but did return to Norwich just after Christmas and appeared for the club on December 29.
However, with Spurs failing to sign another striker during the January transfer window, they have decided to recall Kane so that he can provide cover for Jermain Defoe and Emmanuel Adebayor.
"Spurs have recalled Harry Kane from his loan with us," said Norwich manager Chris Hughton, as quoted on Eurosport. "He was unlucky with the injury. We would have liked to keep him, but wish him well."
Tottenham had been left short in attack in recent weeks as manager Andre Villas-Boas was forced to play Clint Dempsey as a makeshift forward after Defoe picked up an injury while Adebayor was still away at the Africa Cup of Nations.
Kane has made one appearance for Tottenham in the Premier League but has spent much of his time away on-loan. He has previously had spells at Leyton Orient and Millwall but will now be hoping he can make an impact back in north London.
Tottenham missed out on signing Damiao on deadline day but Villas-Boas admitted that the club must simply move on encouraged fans not to be disheartened.
"We have approached this market sensibly and said that if it was going to go out of proportion (fees and wages), we would step out of it," Villas-Boas told ESPN. "We told you he [Damiao] was a player we chased, but we couldn't agree on the full conditions, so we have moved on.
"The fans' concerns for this situation are due by opinion making and expectation. It is a rollercoaster for them. If this window was not open and you are sitting in fourth position, you are pretty comfortable, but we are where we stand. We sounded the market for different possibilities as we have found comfort in a 4-4-2 formation and we only have two strikers, but it didn't happen."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy