Tottenham Recall Striker as AVB Reveals Damiao Deal Was Close
By Adrian Back | February 2, 2013 3:09 AM EST
Tottenham have recalled Harry Kane from his loan spell at Norwich City after failing to seal a deadline day deal for Internacional striker Leandro Damiao.
Kane will now hope to fight for a place in the Tottenham first team after making just three appearances for Norwich which has not helped by breaking a metatarsal in the Capital One Cup tie against Doncaster.
The 19-year-old returned to Tottenham while undergoing rehabilitation on the injury but did return to Norwich just after Christmas and appeared for the club on December 29.
However, with Spurs failing to sign another striker during the January transfer window, they have decided to recall Kane so that he can provide cover for Jermain Defoe and Emmanuel Adebayor.
"Spurs have recalled Harry Kane from his loan with us," said Norwich manager Chris Hughton, as quoted on Eurosport. "He was unlucky with the injury. We would have liked to keep him, but wish him well."
Tottenham had been left short in attack in recent weeks as manager Andre Villas-Boas was forced to play Clint Dempsey as a makeshift forward after Defoe picked up an injury while Adebayor was still away at the Africa Cup of Nations.
Kane has made one appearance for Tottenham in the Premier League but has spent much of his time away on-loan. He has previously had spells at Leyton Orient and Millwall but will now be hoping he can make an impact back in north London.
Tottenham missed out on signing Damiao on deadline day but Villas-Boas admitted that the club must simply move on encouraged fans not to be disheartened.
"We have approached this market sensibly and said that if it was going to go out of proportion (fees and wages), we would step out of it," Villas-Boas told ESPN. "We told you he [Damiao] was a player we chased, but we couldn't agree on the full conditions, so we have moved on.
"The fans' concerns for this situation are due by opinion making and expectation. It is a rollercoaster for them. If this window was not open and you are sitting in fourth position, you are pretty comfortable, but we are where we stand. We sounded the market for different possibilities as we have found comfort in a 4-4-2 formation and we only have two strikers, but it didn't happen."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers