Tottenham Recall Striker as AVB Reveals Damiao Deal Was Close
By Adrian Back | February 2, 2013 3:09 AM EST
Tottenham have recalled Harry Kane from his loan spell at Norwich City after failing to seal a deadline day deal for Internacional striker Leandro Damiao.
Kane will now hope to fight for a place in the Tottenham first team after making just three appearances for Norwich which has not helped by breaking a metatarsal in the Capital One Cup tie against Doncaster.
The 19-year-old returned to Tottenham while undergoing rehabilitation on the injury but did return to Norwich just after Christmas and appeared for the club on December 29.
However, with Spurs failing to sign another striker during the January transfer window, they have decided to recall Kane so that he can provide cover for Jermain Defoe and Emmanuel Adebayor.
"Spurs have recalled Harry Kane from his loan with us," said Norwich manager Chris Hughton, as quoted on Eurosport. "He was unlucky with the injury. We would have liked to keep him, but wish him well."
Tottenham had been left short in attack in recent weeks as manager Andre Villas-Boas was forced to play Clint Dempsey as a makeshift forward after Defoe picked up an injury while Adebayor was still away at the Africa Cup of Nations.
Kane has made one appearance for Tottenham in the Premier League but has spent much of his time away on-loan. He has previously had spells at Leyton Orient and Millwall but will now be hoping he can make an impact back in north London.
Tottenham missed out on signing Damiao on deadline day but Villas-Boas admitted that the club must simply move on encouraged fans not to be disheartened.
"We have approached this market sensibly and said that if it was going to go out of proportion (fees and wages), we would step out of it," Villas-Boas told ESPN. "We told you he [Damiao] was a player we chased, but we couldn't agree on the full conditions, so we have moved on.
"The fans' concerns for this situation are due by opinion making and expectation. It is a rollercoaster for them. If this window was not open and you are sitting in fourth position, you are pretty comfortable, but we are where we stand. We sounded the market for different possibilities as we have found comfort in a 4-4-2 formation and we only have two strikers, but it didn't happen."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft