Court rejects Oracle's bid for a quicker end to HP suit
By Dan Levine | February 2, 2013 2:49 AM EST
A California appeals court on Thursday rejected an attempt by Oracle Corp to quickly end a bitter lawsuit brought by Hewlett-Packard Corp over Oracle's decision in 2011 to end support for HP's Itanium based servers.
HP accused Oracle of violating a contract when it decided it would no longer make new versions of its database software, which was compatible with HP's high-end servers based on Intel Corp's Itanium chips. Oracle maintained it had no such contract with HP.
The servers tend to be used by large corporations with rigorous computing needs.
After a trial last year, a state judge in San Jose, California ruled that a contract existed between HP and Oracle, and that Oracle was required to continue to offer its product suite on HP's Itanium server platform. Oracle was required to port its products to HP's Itanium-based servers without charge to HP, the judge ruled.
Damages will be decided at a subsequent phase of trial.
In 2012, Oracle asked a California appeals court to reverse the contract ruling, which could have ended the case. However, California's 6th District Court of Appeal rejected the request late on Thursday, without further explanation.
Oracle must now wait until the trial is over to appeal all of the issues at once.
Representatives for both companies declined to comment.
The case in the 6th Appellate District is Oracle Corporation vs. Superior Court (Hewlett-Packard Company), number H038880.
(Editing by Bernadette Baum)
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports