Brent Rises as Syrian Civil War Threatens to Spread
By Laura Brodbeck | February 2, 2013 1:12 AM EST
Brent crude oil pushed toward $116 on Friday morning and began February supported by supply concerns stemming from tension in the Middle East. The commodity traded at $115.49 on Friday morning.
Gains were capped by poor economic data from China, whose purchasing managers' index was weaker than expected. The data took away from the nation's momentum, as investors who optimistically predicted that the energy consuming giant was recovering quickly were forced to consider that the country's stunted economy was making only a modest recovery.
However, conflicting data from HSBC showed that China's manufacturing sector reached a two year high in January; backing bullish traders who believe the Chinese economy is picking up.
Investors will also be watching for U.S. Non-Farm payroll data, which is set to be released at 1:30 GMT on Friday. Analysts are expecting the data to show a rise in jobs alongside a steady unemployment rate. The data, likely to be scoured for clues about the country's economic health and future fuel demand, could drag down oil prices if it falls short of expectations.
The largest driver of Brent prices at the moment is escalating tension in the Middle East as Syria continues a bloody civil war that threatens to break through the country's borders.
According to Reuters, Syrian officials went to the United Nations on Thursday to warn of a possible “surprise” response to the Israeli airstrike that took place on Wednesday.
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton tried to prevent the war from spreading by urging Russia and Iran to withdraw their support for Syria.
(c) 2013 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Copyright Benzinga. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 24, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 24, 2014
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Global Markets Overview – July 24, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 24, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon