Brent Rises as Syrian Civil War Threatens to Spread
By Laura Brodbeck | February 2, 2013 1:12 AM EST
Brent crude oil pushed toward $116 on Friday morning and began February supported by supply concerns stemming from tension in the Middle East. The commodity traded at $115.49 on Friday morning.
Gains were capped by poor economic data from China, whose purchasing managers' index was weaker than expected. The data took away from the nation's momentum, as investors who optimistically predicted that the energy consuming giant was recovering quickly were forced to consider that the country's stunted economy was making only a modest recovery.
However, conflicting data from HSBC showed that China's manufacturing sector reached a two year high in January; backing bullish traders who believe the Chinese economy is picking up.
Investors will also be watching for U.S. Non-Farm payroll data, which is set to be released at 1:30 GMT on Friday. Analysts are expecting the data to show a rise in jobs alongside a steady unemployment rate. The data, likely to be scoured for clues about the country's economic health and future fuel demand, could drag down oil prices if it falls short of expectations.
The largest driver of Brent prices at the moment is escalating tension in the Middle East as Syria continues a bloody civil war that threatens to break through the country's borders.
According to Reuters, Syrian officials went to the United Nations on Thursday to warn of a possible “surprise” response to the Israeli airstrike that took place on Wednesday.
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton tried to prevent the war from spreading by urging Russia and Iran to withdraw their support for Syria.
(c) 2013 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Copyright Benzinga. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display