Fed's Dudley floats even broader revamp of wholesale funding
February 2, 2013 1:00 AM EST
The United States could adopt even broader reforms of the wholesale funding markets than currently being considered, including forcing firms to rely more on longer-term funding or expanding the U.S. Federal Reserve's backstop, an influential Fed official said on Friday.
New York Fed President William Dudley warned that extensive activity in the money markets and tri-party repo markets takes place without proper safeguards against runs and fire sales, and he urged U.S. lawmakers to take a closer look.
Without endorsing a particular path, he suggested the government could curtail short-term wholesale finance, dissuading financial institutions from using such funding, or it could decide to extend access to the Fed's discount window to firms that are "much more socially useful than others."
"Regardless of where we come out on these questions, we must make the basic structure of the wholesale funding market as sound as possible," Dudley told the New York Bankers Association, according to prepared remarks.
"Thus, we must push ahead with tri-party and money fund reform."
(Reporting by Jonathan Spicer; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family