Fewer foreclosures done in December: CoreLogic
February 2, 2013 12:42 AM EST
Lenders seized fewer U.S. homes in December, while the number of properties awaiting foreclosure also declined in a sign the housing market is working through one of its biggest challenges, data from CoreLogic showed on Friday.
There were 56,000 completed foreclosures in December, down from 58,000 the month before and 71,000 a year ago, CoreLogic
Before the housing market collapsed, monthly foreclosures averaged 21,000 between 2000 and 2006. Since the heart of the financial crisis in September 2008, there have been about 4.1 million completed foreclosures.
For the year, 767,000 foreclosures were done in 2012, down from 916,547 the year before.
About 1.2 million homes were in some stage of the foreclosure process, down from 1.5 million in December 2011. That amounts to 3 percent of all mortgaged homes.
"This big improvement indicates we are working toward resolving the backlog of the most distressed assets in the shadow inventory," Mark Fleming, chief economist for CoreLogic, said in a statement.
Florida had the highest amount of properties sitting in the foreclosure process at 10.1 percent of homes.
(Reporting by Leah Schnurr; Editing by M.D. Golan)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone