Ed Koch, Three-Time New York City Mayor, Dies At 88 Of Congestive Heart Failure
February 1, 2013 11:06 PM EST
Edward I. Koch, a three-term mayor of New York who led the city's financial recovery in the 1970s, died early Friday of congestive heart failure, the Wall Street Journal said.
The achievements of the Bronx-born Democrat, who was being treated in New York-Presbyterian Columbia, include replacing the city's patronage appointment of judges with merit selections and launching $5.1 billino in city funded affordable housing construction to rebuild neighborhoods wiped out by arson.
Koch, who was born of Polish-Jewish immigrant parents, also faced down the city's transit workers in a 1980 strike that lasted 10 days and resulted in a raise for strikers that was far less than they had sought. His autobiography, "Citizen Koch," was published in 1992.
After his mayoralty, Koch emerged as a strong defender of Israel and a popular radio show host whose political independence was underscored in 2011 when he helped get a Republican candidate elected to Congress.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans