Wenger: Arsenal Star Likely to Miss Champions League Tie with Bayern Munich
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 1, 2013 11:05 PM EST
Arsenal have been dealt a major blow after manager Arsene Wenger confirmed England international Kieran Gibbs will be sidelined for six weeks. The 23-year-old left-back picked up a thigh injury during the Gunners' midweek 2-2 Premier League draw against Liverpool.
Initial reports suggested Gibbs would be unavailable for only half that time but it now seems the defender will miss both legs of Arsenal's Champions League knock-out tie against Bayern Munich.
"It will be four to six weeks. I believe Gibbs will be out for the Champions League. I [cannot] play Monreal. Santos could have a key role. Santos is the type of player who gets sharper from competition. Yes [some criticism he gets is unfair]. I believe we need two left backs. We had two before, we have two again now because Gibbs is out," Wenger explained.
News of Gibbs' extended recovery time further emphasises the fortunate signing of Spain international left-back Nacho Monreal, on deadline day. Wenger signed the 26-year-old from Spanish side Malaga for a reported £8m. The only concern for the Frenchman will be that Monreal is cup-tied for the Champions League this season, having already represented the Spanish club in the competition's group stages.
Wenger's comments indicate Brazil left-back Andre Santos is an option for the game against the Bundesliga giants. However, given his error-prone performances, it is more likely the manager will shift Belgian international Thomas Vermaelen to that position and play the German-French pairing of Per Mertesacker and Laurent Koscielny in the centre of defence.
Meanwhile, Wenger also confirmed Monreal is likely to feature against Stoke City, when the Gunners entertain the Potters this weekend.
"Monreal is available for the weekend game. Yes [he can improve our defence] but we want him to take part in our collective play. He can play as a left winger too and he can adapt very quickly," the Arsenal boss explained.
Hodgson: No Wilshere for U21 Championship
England manager, Roy Hodgson, has confirmed that Arsenal star midfielder Jack Wilshere will not be a part of the Three Lion's U21 European Championship campaign. Hodgson also dismissed claims of comparisons between Wilshere and Manchester United's newest recruit, Wilfried Zaha, or Liverpool's youngsters.
"It is not right to compare Jack with [Wilfried] Zaha, [Raheem] Sterling and [Jonjo] Shelvey, etc. You have to give Wilshere the credit that he has established himself as a bonafide first-team player," Hodgson said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date