Wenger: Arsenal Star Likely to Miss Champions League Tie with Bayern Munich
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 1, 2013 11:05 PM EST
Arsenal have been dealt a major blow after manager Arsene Wenger confirmed England international Kieran Gibbs will be sidelined for six weeks. The 23-year-old left-back picked up a thigh injury during the Gunners' midweek 2-2 Premier League draw against Liverpool.
Initial reports suggested Gibbs would be unavailable for only half that time but it now seems the defender will miss both legs of Arsenal's Champions League knock-out tie against Bayern Munich.
"It will be four to six weeks. I believe Gibbs will be out for the Champions League. I [cannot] play Monreal. Santos could have a key role. Santos is the type of player who gets sharper from competition. Yes [some criticism he gets is unfair]. I believe we need two left backs. We had two before, we have two again now because Gibbs is out," Wenger explained.
News of Gibbs' extended recovery time further emphasises the fortunate signing of Spain international left-back Nacho Monreal, on deadline day. Wenger signed the 26-year-old from Spanish side Malaga for a reported £8m. The only concern for the Frenchman will be that Monreal is cup-tied for the Champions League this season, having already represented the Spanish club in the competition's group stages.
Wenger's comments indicate Brazil left-back Andre Santos is an option for the game against the Bundesliga giants. However, given his error-prone performances, it is more likely the manager will shift Belgian international Thomas Vermaelen to that position and play the German-French pairing of Per Mertesacker and Laurent Koscielny in the centre of defence.
Meanwhile, Wenger also confirmed Monreal is likely to feature against Stoke City, when the Gunners entertain the Potters this weekend.
"Monreal is available for the weekend game. Yes [he can improve our defence] but we want him to take part in our collective play. He can play as a left winger too and he can adapt very quickly," the Arsenal boss explained.
Hodgson: No Wilshere for U21 Championship
England manager, Roy Hodgson, has confirmed that Arsenal star midfielder Jack Wilshere will not be a part of the Three Lion's U21 European Championship campaign. Hodgson also dismissed claims of comparisons between Wilshere and Manchester United's newest recruit, Wilfried Zaha, or Liverpool's youngsters.
"It is not right to compare Jack with [Wilfried] Zaha, [Raheem] Sterling and [Jonjo] Shelvey, etc. You have to give Wilshere the credit that he has established himself as a bonafide first-team player," Hodgson said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet