Bollywood's Salman Khan Faces Homicide Charge and Ten-Year Jail Sentence
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 1, 2013 10:38 PM EST
An Indian court, headed by additional chief metropolitan magistrate Vasant Patil, has directed that Bollywood actor Salman Khan be tried for culpable homicide, not amounting to murder, in relation to a horrific road accident that took place in 2002. The 47-year-old actor is accused of killing one person and injuring four others, while driving his SUV in Mumbai.
The actor is presently being tried for "death caused by negligence", which carries a maximum of two years in jail. According to this latest directive, Khan, if convicted, could face a 10-year sentence. The actor has been ordered to appear in a sessions court on 11 February.
Confirming the reports, his attorney Dipesh Mehta said that Khan would be challenging the order in the Bombay High Court. He told The Times of India: "Earlier, (Article)304-A [of the Indian Penal Code (IPC)] was applied in the same manner. There is no change in circumstances and the evidence is still not complete."
The new charge will be filed under Section 304-II of the IPC. Khan also faces charges under IPC Sections 279 (rash driving), 337 (causing minor injuries), 338 (causing major injuries) and 427 (negligence), as well as those under the country's Motor Vehicles Act.
Khan has acted in more than 80 Bollywood films and has a huge fan following in the Indian sub-continent. Unfortunately, what will not help his trial is his "bad boy" image, which has stuck with since reports emerged that he physically assaulted his former girlfriend, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan. Worse still, in 2006, he was sentenced to five years in prison for hunting chinkara - Indian gazelle, an endangered species of deer found in South Asia. Khan was released on bail, after spending less than a week in prison.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS