Bollywood's Salman Khan Faces Homicide Charge and Ten-Year Jail Sentence
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 1, 2013 10:38 PM EST
An Indian court, headed by additional chief metropolitan magistrate Vasant Patil, has directed that Bollywood actor Salman Khan be tried for culpable homicide, not amounting to murder, in relation to a horrific road accident that took place in 2002. The 47-year-old actor is accused of killing one person and injuring four others, while driving his SUV in Mumbai.
The actor is presently being tried for "death caused by negligence", which carries a maximum of two years in jail. According to this latest directive, Khan, if convicted, could face a 10-year sentence. The actor has been ordered to appear in a sessions court on 11 February.
Confirming the reports, his attorney Dipesh Mehta said that Khan would be challenging the order in the Bombay High Court. He told The Times of India: "Earlier, (Article)304-A [of the Indian Penal Code (IPC)] was applied in the same manner. There is no change in circumstances and the evidence is still not complete."
The new charge will be filed under Section 304-II of the IPC. Khan also faces charges under IPC Sections 279 (rash driving), 337 (causing minor injuries), 338 (causing major injuries) and 427 (negligence), as well as those under the country's Motor Vehicles Act.
Khan has acted in more than 80 Bollywood films and has a huge fan following in the Indian sub-continent. Unfortunately, what will not help his trial is his "bad boy" image, which has stuck with since reports emerged that he physically assaulted his former girlfriend, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan. Worse still, in 2006, he was sentenced to five years in prison for hunting chinkara - Indian gazelle, an endangered species of deer found in South Asia. Khan was released on bail, after spending less than a week in prison.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- ‘True Blood’: Identity Of Sookie’s Husband In Final Episode Thank You Revealed
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Spoilers: Juice Ratting Gemma Out To Jax, Unser Helping New Sheriff
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge