‘David’ Critics Review: A Must-Watch Film
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 1, 2013 9:54 PM EST
"David" is an action thriller film directed by Bejoy Nambiar who rose to fame with 2011 film "Shaitan". The movie features Vikram, Neil Nitin Mukesh and Vinay Virmani in the title roles. The story revolves around the lives of three men with the same name "David".
The film has received rave reviews from critics, with many appreciating Neil Nitin Mukesh's performance.
Check what critics have to say about the movie:
Roshni Devi of Koimoi.com said: "What's similar to God and underwear? If this has you bemused or offended, David is that necessary kick-in-the-seat of your pants to remind you of what intelligent movies with style and substance look like.
"Bejoy Nambiar and Natasha Sahgal take three not-so-ordinary stories and spin it into an excellent script. While Neil's story is bleaker than the others, it is also the one that disappoints the most. It starts of stylishly and intriguingly, but gets a messy conclusion.
"David is a sleek, funny movie that sews together interesting stories with excellent performances and darn good music. Don't give it a miss."
Gayatri Shankar of Zee news said: "Experimenting with and implementing out-of-the-box ideas aren't as easy as they seem to be. Bejoy Nambiar, who made his inroads to Hindi cinema with 'Shaitaan', which garnered rave reviews, has now come up with a visually thrilling piece of art- 'David'.
"Nambiar has an unusual way of story-telling. With 'David', he unfolds stories of the three protagonists of the film who share a common name. The times they belong to are different and so are the places they hail from. With action, romance and comedy in somewhat proportional lengths, Nambiar strikes a healthy balance that doesn't leave you jaded.
"Don't give this film a miss. So do grab your ticket at the earliest and treat yourself with something that's never seen before."
Subhash K Jha of IANS said: "Bejoy Nambiar's second feature film after Shaitan interconnects the lives of three characters named David, played with outstanding conviction by actors belonging to three different generations. The three protagonists, who by chance share the same name, didn't have to be linked in the plot at all.
"Each David occupies a distinctive emotional spatial and chronological dimension. Each story is told with a muted flourish that eschews the flamboyant edginess of a recent, highly favoured and over-flavoured genre of Hindi cinema... you know the Anurag Kashyap, Vishal Bharadwaj genre where the characters are darkly drawn from life's most sombre colours.
"David is many things at the same time. Finally though, it is a magnificent morality tale that tells us it is trendy to be bad, but being good is timeless."
Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama said: "In DAVID, Bejoy's second outing; he introduces us to three Davids. Dwelling in three different places. In three different eras. But the characters aren't linked to each other, though these characters do connect towards the film's resolution. Given the genre of the film, one would expect DAVID to hurl a lot of shockers at you. Sadly, it doesn't. Sure, the tone of the sequences alters constantly, from passion to angst to apprehension to conflict to retribution to vindication, but the film fails to involve you completely. What comes across on screen is inconsistent.
"What you eventually carry home is the technique Bejoy adopts to narrate the three stories. But the gorgeous visuals and a couple of enthralling moments aren't enough. A film ought to score as a complete package. That's where DAVID falters!
"On the whole, DAVID is more style, less substance. A few moments do stand out, but they are few and far between. Coming from the director of SHAITAN, this one's a mega disappointment!"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales