US Nuclear Submarine to Participate in South Korea Naval Drill
By Vasudevan Sridharan | February 1, 2013 9:37 PM EST
A nuclear-powered submarine of the US is participating in a naval drill in South Korea amid rising tensions in the Korean peninsula sparked by North Korea's reported move to carry out a nuclear test.
Besides the submarine, two other American warships, equipped with missiles and torpedoes, have arrived in the nearby port city of Busan.
The vessels will take part in a joint naval drill by South Korea and the US. South Korea will be employing ten warships in the drill.
South Korea has said that the exercise was previously scheduled and is not a response to North Korea's recent threats.
However, officials are tight-lipped about details of the proposed drill. All that they have said is that the exercise is aimed at testing the combat readiness of both the countries.
"We are closely looking into whether [increased activity] is a manipulating tactic or preparations for a nuclear test indeed. The North is ready to conduct an atomic test at any time if the leadership makes a decision," said the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS), Jung Seung-jo.
Jung added: "The upcoming drill, which had already been planned, is not targeted for (North Korea's) nuclear test."
Both sides hope that the naval drill will send strong signals to the North if it presses ahead with its third nuclear test defying international warnings.
The South had earlier warned of "grave consequences" if the North conducts a test.
"The (Seoul) government urges North Korea to stop all provocative speeches and abide by international obligations, including those stipulated in UN Security Council resolutions," said South Korean President Lee Myung-bak after a meeting with top officials.
Lee has also ordered the defence ministry to keep military forces in top readiness to face any eventuality.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Canada's Ontario Students Score High Rank In Global Survey Of Computer Skills
- New Zealand Medicine Products Sector To Get Own Regulator::Drops Plan For A Joint Regulator With Australia
- New Zealand Assured China-Australia Deal Will Not Affect Demand
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide