Peter Odemwingie Stranded after Transfer Fiasco
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 1, 2013 6:02 PM EST
West Bromwich Albion striker Peter Odemwingie has left himself in an awkward situation at the Hawthorns after his failure to force a move through to QPR, despite the Baggies not giving permission for a transfer.
The 31-year-old Nigerian was spotted by television cameras at Loftus Road on deadline day, under the apparent belief a fee had been agreed and personal terms were to be worked out. Unfortunately for him, no such agreement had been reached between the Premier League clubs and Odemwingie was left red-faced; the player was turned away from the stadium.
"He was not allowed to enter the stadium. We would never disrespect another club by speaking to one of their players without permission," the Rangers' chief executive, Philip Beard, said.
Sitting in his car outside Loftus Road, Odemwingie insisted the transfer would happen and he would join QPR.
"West Brom is my home but QPR is a new chapter. I just hope West Brom will be happy. I am very optimistic the transfer will happen," Odemwingie explained.
Meanwhile, the Rangers' boss, Harry Redknapp, suggested Odemwingie may have been misinformed.
"It was all a bit of a mix-up but it wasn't any of our doing. Maybe he was advised he should turn up here and that the offer had been accepted. I think the wires got crossed somewhere but it's too late now," the ex-Spurs boss said.
The interesting element of this story is QPR did make two bid for the Nigerian forward in the final week of the January transfer window. The Guardian reports West Brom turned down a £2m offer for Odemwingie earlier in the month before rejecting a larger (undisclosed) amount.
"Last season January window is when I should have handed in transfer request. Was one foot in Rubin Kazan - not for sale. Fulham. Not for sale. Newcastle. Not for sale. Wigan. Not for sale."
"I say - I have served the club well and deserve at least to have a prise now so I can plan my probably last move in England."
"Loyalty left 70 percent. the rest they stole out of my pocket thinking I was keeping money in there."
Meanwhile, Baggies chairman Jeremy Pearce has labelled Odemwingie's behaviour "unprofessional" and Steve Clarke's club promptly released a statement of their own;
"Albion can confirm that no agreement was reached with QPR over the transfer of Peter Odemwingie before the closure of the January window and that the striker remains under contract at The Hawthorns."
"The Club were extremely disappointed to witness TV footage of Odemwingie arriving at Loftus Road on Thursday evening despite further talks between the two Barclays Premier League sides proving fruitless. Odemwingie was also never given permission to speak to QPR about a potential move."
Pearce also commented: "Peter has acted wholly unprofessionally. He must now accept the fact he remains under contract for a further 18 months and has to focus on his Albion commitments."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks