Reliance Comms, Lenovo Join Hands to Launch CDMA-GSM Smartphones
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 1, 2013 5:16 PM EST
Reliance Communications has signed an exclusive deal with PC maker Lenovo to launch smartphones into India's burgeoning smartphone market.
The new partnership, announced on Thursday, will bring out an array of smartphones which could work on both CDMA and GSM network simultaneously. Reliance said it will roll out 4-5 smartphones in the next six months.
"This is an important step in redefining India's CDMA device ecosystem. In the next six months, we plan to launch 4-5 more smartphones and tablets, which will be priced attractively to have a full bouquet of smart devices," said RCom President and CEO (Wireless Business) Gurdeep Singh, PTI reported.
The first lot of smartphones is expected to reach stores in March and each device is likely to be priced in the sub ₹8,000 price range.
According to reports, the smartphones will run on Android operating system powered by a dual-core 1 GHz processor. The handsets will be made available across 2,500 Reliance stores and 1,000 Lenovo outlets. Reliance said it will offer data plans with the smartphones.
"In line with our endeavour to develop the CDMA device ecosystem, the co-branded smart-phones are set to offer a superlative customer experience in terms of device, speed and coverage on our high speed data network offering the widest footprint across the country," said Singh.
Elaborating on the partnership with the Anil Ambani-led company, Lenovo Group SVP and President (LBG) Liu Jun said, "India's smartphone market is booming and predicted to grow even faster in the coming years. Lenovo's partnership with Reliance creates strong synergies that leverage the unique strengths of Reliance and Lenovo."
In 2012, the China-based PC maker marked its foray into domestic smartphone market with five smartphones priced between ₹6, 500 and ₹28, 500.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- Biggest Australian IPO in 4 Years as Healthscope Could Raises $2.12 Billion
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales