Reliance Comms, Lenovo Join Hands to Launch CDMA-GSM Smartphones
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 1, 2013 5:16 PM EST
Reliance Communications has signed an exclusive deal with PC maker Lenovo to launch smartphones into India's burgeoning smartphone market.
The new partnership, announced on Thursday, will bring out an array of smartphones which could work on both CDMA and GSM network simultaneously. Reliance said it will roll out 4-5 smartphones in the next six months.
"This is an important step in redefining India's CDMA device ecosystem. In the next six months, we plan to launch 4-5 more smartphones and tablets, which will be priced attractively to have a full bouquet of smart devices," said RCom President and CEO (Wireless Business) Gurdeep Singh, PTI reported.
The first lot of smartphones is expected to reach stores in March and each device is likely to be priced in the sub ₹8,000 price range.
According to reports, the smartphones will run on Android operating system powered by a dual-core 1 GHz processor. The handsets will be made available across 2,500 Reliance stores and 1,000 Lenovo outlets. Reliance said it will offer data plans with the smartphones.
"In line with our endeavour to develop the CDMA device ecosystem, the co-branded smart-phones are set to offer a superlative customer experience in terms of device, speed and coverage on our high speed data network offering the widest footprint across the country," said Singh.
Elaborating on the partnership with the Anil Ambani-led company, Lenovo Group SVP and President (LBG) Liu Jun said, "India's smartphone market is booming and predicted to grow even faster in the coming years. Lenovo's partnership with Reliance creates strong synergies that leverage the unique strengths of Reliance and Lenovo."
In 2012, the China-based PC maker marked its foray into domestic smartphone market with five smartphones priced between ₹6, 500 and ₹28, 500.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- A Mother Of Two Dies While Undergoing Stem Cell Treatment
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Human Guinea Pigs for Google Health Projects