Reliance Comms, Lenovo Join Hands to Launch CDMA-GSM Smartphones
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 1, 2013 5:16 PM EST
Reliance Communications has signed an exclusive deal with PC maker Lenovo to launch smartphones into India's burgeoning smartphone market.
The new partnership, announced on Thursday, will bring out an array of smartphones which could work on both CDMA and GSM network simultaneously. Reliance said it will roll out 4-5 smartphones in the next six months.
"This is an important step in redefining India's CDMA device ecosystem. In the next six months, we plan to launch 4-5 more smartphones and tablets, which will be priced attractively to have a full bouquet of smart devices," said RCom President and CEO (Wireless Business) Gurdeep Singh, PTI reported.
The first lot of smartphones is expected to reach stores in March and each device is likely to be priced in the sub ₹8,000 price range.
According to reports, the smartphones will run on Android operating system powered by a dual-core 1 GHz processor. The handsets will be made available across 2,500 Reliance stores and 1,000 Lenovo outlets. Reliance said it will offer data plans with the smartphones.
"In line with our endeavour to develop the CDMA device ecosystem, the co-branded smart-phones are set to offer a superlative customer experience in terms of device, speed and coverage on our high speed data network offering the widest footprint across the country," said Singh.
Elaborating on the partnership with the Anil Ambani-led company, Lenovo Group SVP and President (LBG) Liu Jun said, "India's smartphone market is booming and predicted to grow even faster in the coming years. Lenovo's partnership with Reliance creates strong synergies that leverage the unique strengths of Reliance and Lenovo."
In 2012, the China-based PC maker marked its foray into domestic smartphone market with five smartphones priced between ₹6, 500 and ₹28, 500.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Rises Again Despite Bendgate, iOS 8 Bugs; Samsung Stock At Two-Year Low
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Ello Pegged As The Anti-Facebook Social Network
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate