Manti Te’o’s Hoaxer In Love, Reveals Why He ‘Killed’ Lennay Kekua
By Czarina Malleta | February 1, 2013 3:23 PM EST
Manti Te'o's fake "girlfriend" was probably one of the most bizarre sports related news there is today. Now, the person behind the hoax speaks up and revealed why he had to kill the fake identity.
RonaiahTuiasosopo, the man who pretended to be "Lennay Kekua" did an interview with Dr.Phil and admits that he fell in love with the Notre Dame football star. McGraw told on NBC's "Today" that the man behind Manti Te'o's fake girlfriend identity was indeed romantically in love with the athlete.
"I asked him straight up, 'Was this a romantic relationship with you?' And he says yes. I said, 'Are you then therefore gay?' And he said, 'When you put it that way, yes.' And then he caught himself and said, 'I am confused,'" Dr. Phil shared.
Tuiasosopo admits to McGraw that his feelings for the football star were genuine and that he wanted to come clean. But given circumstances that he is a guy, and that Manti had feelings not for him but for "Lennay," the circumstances aggravated.
But in the end, Ronaiah said that he had to admit it and "kill" Lennay Kekua." The relationship ended when "Lennay" died of leukemia before Manti was able to meet her.
"I wanted to end it because after everything I had gone through, I finally realized that I just had to move on with my life,'' Tuiasosopo said.
In an interview with Katie Couric last week, Te'o said that Tuiasosopo called him on January 16 to make the confession. Ronaiah's lawyer claimed that he used a falsetto voice in order to impersonate "Lennay."
In a few voice mails released by Te'o, Tuiasosopo can be heard saying sweetly, "Hey babe, I'm just calling to say goodnight. I love you."
"When people are saying it was a cruel joke, it was never intended as a joke, never intended to be funny. The truth of it is, I grew feelings, I grew emotions that sooner or later I couldn't control anymore," Ronaiah revealed to Dr. Phil.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS