Manti Te’o’s Hoaxer In Love, Reveals Why He ‘Killed’ Lennay Kekua
By Czarina Malleta | February 1, 2013 3:23 PM EST
Manti Te'o's fake "girlfriend" was probably one of the most bizarre sports related news there is today. Now, the person behind the hoax speaks up and revealed why he had to kill the fake identity.
RonaiahTuiasosopo, the man who pretended to be "Lennay Kekua" did an interview with Dr.Phil and admits that he fell in love with the Notre Dame football star. McGraw told on NBC's "Today" that the man behind Manti Te'o's fake girlfriend identity was indeed romantically in love with the athlete.
"I asked him straight up, 'Was this a romantic relationship with you?' And he says yes. I said, 'Are you then therefore gay?' And he said, 'When you put it that way, yes.' And then he caught himself and said, 'I am confused,'" Dr. Phil shared.
Tuiasosopo admits to McGraw that his feelings for the football star were genuine and that he wanted to come clean. But given circumstances that he is a guy, and that Manti had feelings not for him but for "Lennay," the circumstances aggravated.
But in the end, Ronaiah said that he had to admit it and "kill" Lennay Kekua." The relationship ended when "Lennay" died of leukemia before Manti was able to meet her.
"I wanted to end it because after everything I had gone through, I finally realized that I just had to move on with my life,'' Tuiasosopo said.
In an interview with Katie Couric last week, Te'o said that Tuiasosopo called him on January 16 to make the confession. Ronaiah's lawyer claimed that he used a falsetto voice in order to impersonate "Lennay."
In a few voice mails released by Te'o, Tuiasosopo can be heard saying sweetly, "Hey babe, I'm just calling to say goodnight. I love you."
"When people are saying it was a cruel joke, it was never intended as a joke, never intended to be funny. The truth of it is, I grew feelings, I grew emotions that sooner or later I couldn't control anymore," Ronaiah revealed to Dr. Phil.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR - Preview and Live Streaming Link
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- NFL Week 2: Kansas City Chiefs Vs. Denver Broncos Live Streaming Information And Preview
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- US Government Threatened Yahoo to Provide User Data: If not Pay a Fine of $250,000 per day
- Optus Successfully Launches Optus 10 Satellite That Will Improve TV, Internet, Phone & Data Transmission In Australia
- 7 Reasons Why Atlassian Topped BRW’s Best Place To Work In Australia 2014 List
- Pope Francis Blasted For Defying Catholic Doctrine, Marries 20 Couples Who Have Cohabited And Had Children In No Else But St Peter's Basilica