Taiwan names new premier in reshuffle which may see new central bank chief
February 1, 2013 3:14 PM EST
Taiwan's vice premier Jiang Yih-Huah will replace premier Sean Chen, the presidential office said in statement issued late on Thursday, as part of a cabinet reshuffle that could see a new central bank chief.
Central bank chief Perng Fai-nan wants to retire as part of the reshuffle, two lawmakers told a Taiwanese television station on Thursday.
A central bank official refused to comment on Perng's possible retirement. Perng's third five-year term is due to end in February.
Taiwanese media have reported that Chen was a possible candidate to replace Perng -- nicknamed the "forex killer" by currency dealers.
It was thought Chen would take a less stringent stance on forex management after the forthright Perng, who was known for his tough stance against currency speculation and for keeping an iron grip on Taiwan's exchange rate.
Taiwan has the world's fourth-largest foreign exchange reserves.
In replacing Chen, a career civil servant, with academic Jiang as the new premier, President Ma Ying-jeou was installing an ally as head of the administrative branches of government, said Shane Lee, a political science professor at Chang Jung university.
"So I don't expect any big changes in policy direction after Jiang takes over, it'll still be under the control of Ma," Lee said. "He is very smart but he may not have enough experience in political administration or get enough support in cabinet."
Mao Chi-kuo, the transportation minister, will take over from Jiang as vice premier, the statement from the presidential office said.
(Reporting by Faith Hung and Clare Jim; Editing by Paul Tait and Michael Perry)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS