Taiwan names new premier in reshuffle which may see new central bank chief
February 1, 2013 3:14 PM EST
Taiwan's vice premier Jiang Yih-Huah will replace premier Sean Chen, the presidential office said in statement issued late on Thursday, as part of a cabinet reshuffle that could see a new central bank chief.
Central bank chief Perng Fai-nan wants to retire as part of the reshuffle, two lawmakers told a Taiwanese television station on Thursday.
A central bank official refused to comment on Perng's possible retirement. Perng's third five-year term is due to end in February.
Taiwanese media have reported that Chen was a possible candidate to replace Perng -- nicknamed the "forex killer" by currency dealers.
It was thought Chen would take a less stringent stance on forex management after the forthright Perng, who was known for his tough stance against currency speculation and for keeping an iron grip on Taiwan's exchange rate.
Taiwan has the world's fourth-largest foreign exchange reserves.
In replacing Chen, a career civil servant, with academic Jiang as the new premier, President Ma Ying-jeou was installing an ally as head of the administrative branches of government, said Shane Lee, a political science professor at Chang Jung university.
"So I don't expect any big changes in policy direction after Jiang takes over, it'll still be under the control of Ma," Lee said. "He is very smart but he may not have enough experience in political administration or get enough support in cabinet."
Mao Chi-kuo, the transportation minister, will take over from Jiang as vice premier, the statement from the presidential office said.
(Reporting by Faith Hung and Clare Jim; Editing by Paul Tait and Michael Perry)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- UEFA Champions League Draw Result and Replay: Arsenal Joins Toughest Group, Cristiano Ronaldo Named Best Player In Europe [PHOTOS and VIDEO]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans