Tubbataha Reef Tweets of Donald Trump Son: Sordid or Gutsy?
By Gilda Galang | February 1, 2013 3:01 PM EST
It seems that comparing the price of a US minesweeper and a marine sanctuary is never a good way to earn public appeal as Filipino netizens take on Twitter in response to Donald Trump Jr., reports Inquirer.net.
"Yes, a $277-million boat is more important than a 200x50 section of reef that has already been run over," goes the infamous tweet of Trump Jr.
According to Rappler, the original plan was to propel the U.S. Navy to dismantle the USS Guardian to avoid more damage to the Tubbataha reefs, to which Trump, Jr. vehemently reacted negatively.
Filipino bloggers like Bayan Muna party-list Representative Teodoro Casiño was one of those who were riled by the comments of the American businessman.
As for any statements from the Malacanang Palace, presidential spokesman Edwin Lacierda merely dismissed Trump Jr.'s tweet.
"That kid is not a policymaker. We don't have to respond to each and every comment from somebody who just decides to say something. We know what should be done," he said in a statement to ABS-CBN News.
Pay for the damage
Former Philippine Senator Jamby Madrigal has recently suggested that the U.S. should pay for any damages made to the Philippine marine sanctuary.
While there has been a Php38 million (around $930,000) fine according to Inquirer.net reports, Madrigal commented that it was still too small compared to what has been paid to Hawaii for the damage of their coral reef in 2009.
Trump Jr. is the son of mogul Donald Trump, who has recently invested in a project in Makati City in the Philippines.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- U.S. Housing Starts Data in July Turns Around Lackluster Real Estate Growth
- Three U.S. Federal Agencies Cooperate for More Housing Choices
- Canada Developers Have a Taste for U.S. Hotspots
- Zillow to Acquire Web Real Estate Site Trulia
- China’s Wealthiest Man to Spend $1.7B on Australians Beachfront Resort on Gold Coast
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports