Mexico City Explosion: 14 Killed, 100 Injured In Blast At Pemex Oil Building
By IB Times Staff Reporter | February 1, 2013 1:23 PM EST
Authorities are seeking the cause of a Mexico City explosion that killed 14 people and injured 100 more Thursday. The blast shook the main headquarters’ of Mexico’s state-owned oil company, destroying three floors and leaving 30 people stuck in the debris.
The building stands next to the famous 52-story Petroleos Mexicanos (Pemex) tower, which was evacuated as a precaution, according to the Associated Press. Several thousand people work in the Pemex tower. The explosion in the adjacent building came from the basement, and investigators speculated an electrical problem might have triggered the devastation.
"Right now they're conducting a tour of the building and the area adjacent to the blast site to verify if there are any still trapped so they can be rescued immediately," Interior Ministry spokesman Eduardo Sanchez told a Mexican TV station.
Last Sept. 30, people died in an explosion at a Pemex gas plant in northern Mexico. Most accidents have occurred at pipeline installations, but before Thursday’s explosions, Pemex Operations Director Carlos Murrieta said on Twitter the company has reduced its number of accidents in recent years.
The BBC reported that police cordoned off streets in every direction around the Pemex building as four rescue helicopters helped remove the dead and injured. Some media outlets reported defective machinery was to blame for the explosion while Reuters quoted an anonymous ambulance driver who speculated it was a gas leak.
“I am deeply sorry for the deaths of our fellow workers at Pemex. My condolences to their relatives,” President Enrique Pena Nieto said on Twitter. “At the moment, the priority is to help the injured and protect the physical safety of those who work there.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones