Nokia Testing New Lumia Device: Prepping for a Surprise 2013 MWC Launch?
By Erik Pineda | February 1, 2013 12:55 PM EST
Nokia is reportedly testing a new Lumia smartphone, triggering fresh speculations that the Finnish firm is pulling off a surprise following its announcement of a Feb. 25 news briefing at the 2013 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
A new device, known for now as RM-860, recently appeared on Nokia servers through Navifirm, according to Windows Phone Central. But apart from the 'model tag', nothing much can be gleaned from the revelation except to assume that another Windows phone will hit the market soon.
While there were earlier reports that Nokia is closely working with U.S. telcos AT&T and Verizon for the upcoming releases of new Lumia handsets, the term RM-860 hardly gives away clues about specific phone models that Nokia is currently working.
Yet the indication that the firm will host an event via the 2013 MWC later this month fired up rumours that Nokia is about to uncloak the next Lumia. Note that in previous weeks, reports started circulating that the mobile phone maker has commenced working on two new Windows Phone 8 smartphones.
Reports suggested that anytime this year, Nokia will release the Nokia Catwalk and Nokia Laser but there hints too that what were published model names were so far were pertaining to codenames.
The Nokia Laser, for instance, will likely end up as the refreshed version of the Lumia 920 and will be distributed by Verizon in the United States. So far, this new Lumia 920 is likely to bump up on what were already seen in the original version.
But the most notable spec upgrades will be deployed via the Lumia's PureView camera technology, according to WM Power User. This monster phone will sport a rear-cam shooter of 42MP, the same report claimed.
As for the Catwalk, nothing much has been attributed to the planned Nokia handset save for suggestions that the device will be thinner and lighter compared to its predecessor.
The likelihood is strong that Nokia will launch its fresh device offering via the 2013 MWC, providing some texture for the gadget showcase following observations that the usual anticipation generated by the event was tamed by recent developments.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies
- Fast Food Meat Scandal: McDonald’s Suspend Nuggets and McSpicy Chicken Filets
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Tweens Fool Their Parents Online, McAfee Reports
- Debt-Laden Millennials Join Stock Market
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga