Nokia Testing New Lumia Device: Prepping for a Surprise 2013 MWC Launch?
By Erik Pineda | February 1, 2013 12:55 PM EST
Nokia is reportedly testing a new Lumia smartphone, triggering fresh speculations that the Finnish firm is pulling off a surprise following its announcement of a Feb. 25 news briefing at the 2013 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.
A new device, known for now as RM-860, recently appeared on Nokia servers through Navifirm, according to Windows Phone Central. But apart from the 'model tag', nothing much can be gleaned from the revelation except to assume that another Windows phone will hit the market soon.
While there were earlier reports that Nokia is closely working with U.S. telcos AT&T and Verizon for the upcoming releases of new Lumia handsets, the term RM-860 hardly gives away clues about specific phone models that Nokia is currently working.
Yet the indication that the firm will host an event via the 2013 MWC later this month fired up rumours that Nokia is about to uncloak the next Lumia. Note that in previous weeks, reports started circulating that the mobile phone maker has commenced working on two new Windows Phone 8 smartphones.
Reports suggested that anytime this year, Nokia will release the Nokia Catwalk and Nokia Laser but there hints too that what were published model names were so far were pertaining to codenames.
The Nokia Laser, for instance, will likely end up as the refreshed version of the Lumia 920 and will be distributed by Verizon in the United States. So far, this new Lumia 920 is likely to bump up on what were already seen in the original version.
But the most notable spec upgrades will be deployed via the Lumia's PureView camera technology, according to WM Power User. This monster phone will sport a rear-cam shooter of 42MP, the same report claimed.
As for the Catwalk, nothing much has been attributed to the planned Nokia handset save for suggestions that the device will be thinner and lighter compared to its predecessor.
The likelihood is strong that Nokia will launch its fresh device offering via the 2013 MWC, providing some texture for the gadget showcase following observations that the usual anticipation generated by the event was tamed by recent developments.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales