Queensland Rail Train Loses Brake, Hurts 14 as it Runs Off Tracks, Rams Station Toilet
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 1, 2013 10:50 AM EST
A Queensland passenger train lost its brake on Thursday at 7:55 a.m., causing the train to run off the tracks and ram into a station toilet in Cleveland, east of Brisbane. The accident caused damaged to the toilets and injured 14 people.
Report said that there were 13 passengers, a train driver and a guard aboard the train when the accident occurred. The train's front carriage hit the platform and eventually the toilets, causing live power lined to snap and come down on the middle of the train.
However, the passengers were able to exit from the coach's rear and sustained only minor injuries.
The men's toilets were heavily destroyed while one female was trapped inside the women's toilets which partly imploded due to the impact of the train front carriage. The corrugated iron roof of the train station building, completed only six months ago, was torn to shreds by the impact of the collision.
Prior to the smash-up, the men's toilets were occupied and emptied only seconds prior to the train crash. Among those who narrowly escaped being hurt by the accident was the son of Cleveland Fire Station acting Manager Rob Hawxwell.
A nearby resident described the sound of the collision as similar to a car smashing into a brick wall.
The passengers were treated at the accident scene, but 10 were sent to a hospital as a precaution before they were released.
Queensland Rail said it expects its crew would take 13 hours to remove the three remaining carriages from the accident scene. Cranes were used overnight to lift the damaged carriages from the station
As a result of the mishap, QR suspended services between Cleveland and Wellington Point and is using buses to pick up passengers from the end of the line. QR warned commuters of delays of up to 30 minutes.
Jim Benstead, acting chief executive officer of QR, said he expects the investigation of the train crash would take three months.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8