Chelsea and Tottenham Dealt Final Blow In Brazilian Playmaker Chase
By Vanessa Keller | February 1, 2013 8:44 AM EST
Chelsea and Tottenham have missed out on landing Brazilian star WIllian, with Shakhtar Donetsk revealing he has agreed a deal to move to Anzhi Makhachkala.
Willian has been a long-term target for Tottenham, with Spurs coming close to a last minute deal for the 24 year old in the summer, getting an extension on deadline day in the hopes of getting an agreement over the line.
But his fee couldn't be agreed on, and though Andre Villas-Boas appeared to be interested in taking the Shakhtar star on in January, with Chelsea also showing interest, he has now agreed a big money move to Russia instead.
"This is personal decision, and we must respect it," Shakhtar coach Mircea Lucescu told Sport Express, via Goal.com.
"There is a club willing to pay the release clause in his contract, and Willian agreed to move. There is nothing I can do.
"To tell you frankly, I tried to convince him to stay because I think his decision is hasty and not thought out well enough. He is like a son to me.
"He came to Shakhtar almost as a child and leaves us as a 24-year-old man. I told him he would have achieved more with us when we said goodbye.
"Why did he not listen to me? I guess he was under huge pressure from his agent and his relatives that wanted to get everything at once."
The move brings to an end a massive transfer saga for both Tottenham and Chelsea, but with Willian still being young and full of potential, he could still be headed for a move to the Premier League in the future yet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Top 10 WTA Fastest Tennis Serves of All Time
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million