Chelsea and Tottenham Dealt Final Blow In Brazilian Playmaker Chase
By Vanessa Keller | February 1, 2013 8:44 AM EST
Chelsea and Tottenham have missed out on landing Brazilian star WIllian, with Shakhtar Donetsk revealing he has agreed a deal to move to Anzhi Makhachkala.
Willian has been a long-term target for Tottenham, with Spurs coming close to a last minute deal for the 24 year old in the summer, getting an extension on deadline day in the hopes of getting an agreement over the line.
But his fee couldn't be agreed on, and though Andre Villas-Boas appeared to be interested in taking the Shakhtar star on in January, with Chelsea also showing interest, he has now agreed a big money move to Russia instead.
"This is personal decision, and we must respect it," Shakhtar coach Mircea Lucescu told Sport Express, via Goal.com.
"There is a club willing to pay the release clause in his contract, and Willian agreed to move. There is nothing I can do.
"To tell you frankly, I tried to convince him to stay because I think his decision is hasty and not thought out well enough. He is like a son to me.
"He came to Shakhtar almost as a child and leaves us as a 24-year-old man. I told him he would have achieved more with us when we said goodbye.
"Why did he not listen to me? I guess he was under huge pressure from his agent and his relatives that wanted to get everything at once."
The move brings to an end a massive transfer saga for both Tottenham and Chelsea, but with Willian still being young and full of potential, he could still be headed for a move to the Premier League in the future yet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast