Chelsea and Tottenham Dealt Final Blow In Brazilian Playmaker Chase
By Vanessa Keller | February 1, 2013 8:44 AM EST
Chelsea and Tottenham have missed out on landing Brazilian star WIllian, with Shakhtar Donetsk revealing he has agreed a deal to move to Anzhi Makhachkala.
Willian has been a long-term target for Tottenham, with Spurs coming close to a last minute deal for the 24 year old in the summer, getting an extension on deadline day in the hopes of getting an agreement over the line.
But his fee couldn't be agreed on, and though Andre Villas-Boas appeared to be interested in taking the Shakhtar star on in January, with Chelsea also showing interest, he has now agreed a big money move to Russia instead.
"This is personal decision, and we must respect it," Shakhtar coach Mircea Lucescu told Sport Express, via Goal.com.
"There is a club willing to pay the release clause in his contract, and Willian agreed to move. There is nothing I can do.
"To tell you frankly, I tried to convince him to stay because I think his decision is hasty and not thought out well enough. He is like a son to me.
"He came to Shakhtar almost as a child and leaves us as a 24-year-old man. I told him he would have achieved more with us when we said goodbye.
"Why did he not listen to me? I guess he was under huge pressure from his agent and his relatives that wanted to get everything at once."
The move brings to an end a massive transfer saga for both Tottenham and Chelsea, but with Willian still being young and full of potential, he could still be headed for a move to the Premier League in the future yet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown