Chelsea and Tottenham Dealt Final Blow In Brazilian Playmaker Chase
By Vanessa Keller | February 1, 2013 8:44 AM EST
Chelsea and Tottenham have missed out on landing Brazilian star WIllian, with Shakhtar Donetsk revealing he has agreed a deal to move to Anzhi Makhachkala.
Willian has been a long-term target for Tottenham, with Spurs coming close to a last minute deal for the 24 year old in the summer, getting an extension on deadline day in the hopes of getting an agreement over the line.
But his fee couldn't be agreed on, and though Andre Villas-Boas appeared to be interested in taking the Shakhtar star on in January, with Chelsea also showing interest, he has now agreed a big money move to Russia instead.
"This is personal decision, and we must respect it," Shakhtar coach Mircea Lucescu told Sport Express, via Goal.com.
"There is a club willing to pay the release clause in his contract, and Willian agreed to move. There is nothing I can do.
"To tell you frankly, I tried to convince him to stay because I think his decision is hasty and not thought out well enough. He is like a son to me.
"He came to Shakhtar almost as a child and leaves us as a 24-year-old man. I told him he would have achieved more with us when we said goodbye.
"Why did he not listen to me? I guess he was under huge pressure from his agent and his relatives that wanted to get everything at once."
The move brings to an end a massive transfer saga for both Tottenham and Chelsea, but with Willian still being young and full of potential, he could still be headed for a move to the Premier League in the future yet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics Schedule & Results
- Kevin Love to Cleveland Cavaliers Trade Update: Minnesota GM Flip Saunders Wants Wiggins/Bennett Package
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]