Chelsea and Tottenham Dealt Final Blow In Brazilian Playmaker Chase
By Vanessa Keller | February 1, 2013 8:44 AM EST
Chelsea and Tottenham have missed out on landing Brazilian star WIllian, with Shakhtar Donetsk revealing he has agreed a deal to move to Anzhi Makhachkala.
Willian has been a long-term target for Tottenham, with Spurs coming close to a last minute deal for the 24 year old in the summer, getting an extension on deadline day in the hopes of getting an agreement over the line.
But his fee couldn't be agreed on, and though Andre Villas-Boas appeared to be interested in taking the Shakhtar star on in January, with Chelsea also showing interest, he has now agreed a big money move to Russia instead.
"This is personal decision, and we must respect it," Shakhtar coach Mircea Lucescu told Sport Express, via Goal.com.
"There is a club willing to pay the release clause in his contract, and Willian agreed to move. There is nothing I can do.
"To tell you frankly, I tried to convince him to stay because I think his decision is hasty and not thought out well enough. He is like a son to me.
"He came to Shakhtar almost as a child and leaves us as a 24-year-old man. I told him he would have achieved more with us when we said goodbye.
"Why did he not listen to me? I guess he was under huge pressure from his agent and his relatives that wanted to get everything at once."
The move brings to an end a massive transfer saga for both Tottenham and Chelsea, but with Willian still being young and full of potential, he could still be headed for a move to the Premier League in the future yet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video