Taco Bell Doritos: What Will The Chips Taste Like?
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 1, 2013 8:15 AM EST
Following the popularity of Taco Bell’s Doritos Locos Tacos, Frito-Lay is planning to roll out Taco Bell-flavored versions of the Dorito.
The Taco Bell flavor of Doritos is expected to reach store shelves in the spring, a year after the fast-food chain unleashed its popular Doritos Locos Tacos – a hard-shell taco that resembles Nacho Cheese Doritos, the Associated Press reported.
Frito-Lay is trying to capitalize on the success of Doritos Tacos Locos with the Taco Bell chips. The snack, to be produced in Nacho Cheese and Cool Ranch flavors, will have a hint of taco flavor, according to the AP.
Taco Bell unveiled the Doritos Locos Tacos in 2012, and the taco has been a hit with customers. The hard-shell taco accounts for 25 percent of the chain’s sales, Taco Bell CEO Greg Creed told the AP.
"You know you've got a big idea when you don't have to explain it," Creed said about the early stages of developing the Doritos Locos Tacos.
The crunchy taco is also being made in a Cool Ranch flavor, coinciding with Frito-Lay’s Cool Ranch Taco Bell Dorito flavor. A date for the new Doritos Locos Tacos flavor has not been announced.
The shell of the Doritos Locos Tacos is crunchier than other hard-shell tacos sold at Taco Bell. Frito-Lay insisted on a special shell for the taco, according to Creed.
“They wanted it to have that teeth-rattling crunch,” he said.
Taco Bell might also expand its Doritos Locos Tacos offerings beyond Nacho Cheese and Cool Ranch, the AP reported.
Twitter users haven’t even had a taste of the new Doritos yet, but they’re already giving the idea a thumbs-up.
“They are making Taco Bell flavored Doritos omg I just died,” tweeted Jamie Frey.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers