Taco Bell Doritos: What Will The Chips Taste Like?
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 1, 2013 8:15 AM EST
Following the popularity of Taco Bell’s Doritos Locos Tacos, Frito-Lay is planning to roll out Taco Bell-flavored versions of the Dorito.
The Taco Bell flavor of Doritos is expected to reach store shelves in the spring, a year after the fast-food chain unleashed its popular Doritos Locos Tacos – a hard-shell taco that resembles Nacho Cheese Doritos, the Associated Press reported.
Frito-Lay is trying to capitalize on the success of Doritos Tacos Locos with the Taco Bell chips. The snack, to be produced in Nacho Cheese and Cool Ranch flavors, will have a hint of taco flavor, according to the AP.
Taco Bell unveiled the Doritos Locos Tacos in 2012, and the taco has been a hit with customers. The hard-shell taco accounts for 25 percent of the chain’s sales, Taco Bell CEO Greg Creed told the AP.
"You know you've got a big idea when you don't have to explain it," Creed said about the early stages of developing the Doritos Locos Tacos.
The crunchy taco is also being made in a Cool Ranch flavor, coinciding with Frito-Lay’s Cool Ranch Taco Bell Dorito flavor. A date for the new Doritos Locos Tacos flavor has not been announced.
The shell of the Doritos Locos Tacos is crunchier than other hard-shell tacos sold at Taco Bell. Frito-Lay insisted on a special shell for the taco, according to Creed.
“They wanted it to have that teeth-rattling crunch,” he said.
Taco Bell might also expand its Doritos Locos Tacos offerings beyond Nacho Cheese and Cool Ranch, the AP reported.
Twitter users haven’t even had a taste of the new Doritos yet, but they’re already giving the idea a thumbs-up.
“They are making Taco Bell flavored Doritos omg I just died,” tweeted Jamie Frey.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Texas Man Selling Condo With ‘Funniest and Most Revealing Ad’
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet