Taco Bell Doritos: What Will The Chips Taste Like?
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 1, 2013 8:15 AM EST
Following the popularity of Taco Bell’s Doritos Locos Tacos, Frito-Lay is planning to roll out Taco Bell-flavored versions of the Dorito.
The Taco Bell flavor of Doritos is expected to reach store shelves in the spring, a year after the fast-food chain unleashed its popular Doritos Locos Tacos – a hard-shell taco that resembles Nacho Cheese Doritos, the Associated Press reported.
Frito-Lay is trying to capitalize on the success of Doritos Tacos Locos with the Taco Bell chips. The snack, to be produced in Nacho Cheese and Cool Ranch flavors, will have a hint of taco flavor, according to the AP.
Taco Bell unveiled the Doritos Locos Tacos in 2012, and the taco has been a hit with customers. The hard-shell taco accounts for 25 percent of the chain’s sales, Taco Bell CEO Greg Creed told the AP.
"You know you've got a big idea when you don't have to explain it," Creed said about the early stages of developing the Doritos Locos Tacos.
The crunchy taco is also being made in a Cool Ranch flavor, coinciding with Frito-Lay’s Cool Ranch Taco Bell Dorito flavor. A date for the new Doritos Locos Tacos flavor has not been announced.
The shell of the Doritos Locos Tacos is crunchier than other hard-shell tacos sold at Taco Bell. Frito-Lay insisted on a special shell for the taco, according to Creed.
“They wanted it to have that teeth-rattling crunch,” he said.
Taco Bell might also expand its Doritos Locos Tacos offerings beyond Nacho Cheese and Cool Ranch, the AP reported.
Twitter users haven’t even had a taste of the new Doritos yet, but they’re already giving the idea a thumbs-up.
“They are making Taco Bell flavored Doritos omg I just died,” tweeted Jamie Frey.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock May Reach $150; First Trillion Company Talks, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch Boost Price
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan